MSI X470 Gaming Plus for Ryzen 1700X & HyperX 2x16Gb? (not loving Asus much anymore)

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
EDIT: I'm looking to buy a MSI X470 Gaming Plus ATX board for a Ryzen 1700X w/ 2x16Gb of Kingston HyperX memory. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

Backstory: I'm still running my PhenomII dual core unlocked to a 955 quad core on a Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo with a 7850 that I put together almost 10 years ago. At that time, it was a solid performer and worked well for the games I was playing (HL2, L4D, Dishonored, Bioshock, etc). But, then I started exercising more and I sat in front of my PC less. Eventually, I got the divorce I needed and I met a wonderful woman when I started doing triathlons. So, I rarely use my PC for more than surfing the web, paying bills, and maybe still playing an old game while at home sick (not working or exercising).
My PC started intermittently freezing and would often start working again about 3 or 5 minutes later. I'm figuring it was my old PSU that I found had unstable voltages (well, I didn't find that, but I read an article that said so, but I had already been using it). So... now I'm figuring I'll take a Ryzen 1700X and some Kingston HyperX ram (2666Mhz) off my son for around $180, grab a new PSU (I'm thinking a Seasonic USA Focus Plus Series 850 Watt, a bit of overkill, but actually cheaper than the 750Watt while Newegg is offering a $20 rebate). I should mention that I'd prefer a ATX board, but am not dead set against a M-ATX. In my research for a decent Mobo (I was looking at the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING board), it seems that Asus has fallen quite far in their standing. I always thought that they provided a solid product, so it was worth paying a slight premium. Unfortunately, I don't feel that way anymore. I have heard that their driver support has gotten quite bad and a lot of reviews suggest that their tech support has gotten pretty bad as well.
BTW: I believe that since I have a first generation Ryzen, I'd be limited to a 450 or 470 chipset motherboard. My son has said that the latest chipset does not support the earliest CPU's.
Thanks for any suggestions, Ken
BTW: I figure I'll upgrade to a RX580 within a month or 6 (still running a HP IPS 24" 1920x1200 monitor). And, I'd prefer to be able to reuse my case (Antec SLK3700 AMB) and would like to keep my SATA DVD burner as well. Neither is a sticking point, but I think that I'm replacing enough stuff already.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Asrock and MSI have some pretty good offerings for AM4. Gigabyte is also decent, but the UEFI isn't as good generally. I figure for your usage, grab a decent B450 or X470 board.

Also, be sure to replace the storage and do a fresh install of windows 10, as one of those could be the cause of the problem.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
... I should mention that I'd prefer a ATX board, but am not dead set against a M-ATX. ...

Thanks for any suggestions, Ken

BTW: ... I'd prefer to be able to reuse my case (Antec 3700 AMB) and would like to keep my SATA DVD burner as well ...
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I'm not entirely sure what the first 4 replies have to do with anything. I know that my initial post was long, but I really did mention that I prefer ATX, would consider a M-ATX, prefer to reuse my case, and DVD burner. I have no idea why I'd get a B350 or X370, when I could get a B450 or X470 and have more features, longer support, etc... for just a few dollars more.

Anyway, thanks very much for post #5! I used to love my Gigabyte board way back when, I hope that they and Asus can get back on track.

I'll look into Asrock and MSI. I have a Microcenter very close to where I live (and one not to far from where I work). With any luck, I'll find something decent there and get started rebuilding.

I'm looking to get the MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX for about $120 from a local Microcenter. Any comments or suggestions?

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I figured that I'd take a minute to update this thread.

I did in fact buy the MSI X470 Gaming Plus ATX motherboard from Microcenter along with a Noctua fan. I also bought a Seasonic 850Plus Gold power supply from Newegg (was going to get the 750, but after rebate the 850 actually worked out cheaper so decided it was better to have a bit more headroom).

I installed the parts over a week ago and my PC is up and running again. I really should have benchmarked my old set up and again after the new motherboard, CPU, memory, and PSU. I'm sure that almost 10 years of progress has made a significant difference. After I recoup some spare cash, I'll buy a new video card and hard drive effectively giving me a new PC. Unfortunately, I still get the intermittent freeze, so I certainly will do a fresh install of Win 10 when I get the new hard drive (likely a 1TB M.2 SSD). While my monitor will have to wait a bit longer, after cash reserves grow back a second time, I'm thinking a 1440P to replace my 1200P. By then I hope to be in the throws of winter with some spare time to actually sit down and use my PC until spring comes along!

Thanks again for the helpful information given after the first few non helpful posts. Like the rest of life, sometimes you have to wade through the garbage to get to the good stuff.

-Ken