Question MSi X470 Gaming Plus BIOS flashback to upgrade BIOS

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I don't think it has the bios flashback feature from what I could see on the MSI site. Microcenter may have already flashed it though, and if not, they may be able to do it for you with a spare CPU.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
By this point in time, I'd imagine it already has a BIOS version that supports the Ryzen 3000 series out of the box.

Micro Center would have to be horrible rotating their inventory since the first BIOS version that supported Ryzen 3000 series was released back in June 2019.

Reactions: bigboxes

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I don't think it has the bios flashback feature from what I could see on the MSI site. Microcenter may have already flashed it though, and if not, they may be able to do it for you with a spare CPU.
By this point in time, I'd imagine it already has a BIOS version that supports the Ryzen 3000 series out of the box.

Micro Center would have to be horrible rotating their inventory since the first BIOS version that supported Ryzen 3000 series was released back in June 2019.

unfortunately the Micro Center website has a review from Dec and that person still had the old BIOS. I should just get the Tomahawk MAX but I really want Boot LED's yet this is a secondary PC so i want to build it on the cheap.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
unfortunately the Micro Center website has a review from Dec and that person still had the old BIOS. I should just get the Tomahawk MAX but I really want Boot LED's yet this is a secondary PC so i want to build it on the cheap.
I looked at the reviews (sorted from newest to oldest) from your link, and I see one person said the BIOS didn't support a 3700X out of the box, but it was left in August 3, 2019. Not to mention they apparently didn't try to build their PC until after the return period expired.

5.jpg

And if this is the review you're referring to, I wouldn't give much weight to this review as a person doesn't say what BIOS version came with the board, and they seem to think people must use a 1st or 2nd gen CPU first. Lastly, you are buying this at local Micro Center correct? If so, the boards that have support for the Ryzen 3000 series out of the box all should have a sticker added to the top of the box stating it supports Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.

6.jpg

Last edited:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I looked at the reviews (sorted from newest to oldest) from your link, and I see one person said the BIOS didn't support a 3700X out of the box, but it was left in August 3, 2019. Not to mention they apparently didn't try to build their PC until after the return period expired.

View attachment 16690

And if this is the review you're referring to, I wouldn't give much weight to this review as a person doesn't say what BIOS version came with the board, and they seem to think people must use a 1st or 2nd gen CPU first. Lastly, you are buying this at local Micro Center correct? If so, the boards that have support for the Ryzen 3000 series out of the box all should have a sticker added to the top of the box stating it supports Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.

View attachment 16691
That is the one i was referring to. I do see the Tomahawk MAX does have boot LED's so that means i might end up with that motherboard after all. I am not sure why manufacturers do not list boot LED's on their product pages. Instead i had to go through the manual.