MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 Making Weird Sound

Tarushanzu

Feb 19, 2013
Hello,

I just built a new PC with a MSI Twin Frozr III HD 7950 for gaming. When playing GW2, Diablo 3 and Sims 3 (especially Sims 3) at max settings, weird sound coming out from the video card. I've checked, it's not the fan. But when playing Dragon Age II it seems better.

Here's what that weird sound is, http://youtu.be/ShAgTEFoB_U

Is the card defective or it is the driver? Currently using Catalyst version 13.1. Fan speed was at around 40%, activity was around 70% and card temp was below 60c. I'm not sure the fps when playing Diablo 3 or Sims 3, but GW2 was around 60 fps.

The sound is very annoying. Please help, thank you!

All components are new in this PC.

System information:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr III HD 7950
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 240gb
Memory: PNY 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Thank you for your help!

JJ24

Jul 27, 2007
You 100% sure its the video card?>

I built a new computer at the beginning of last month. Had some weird noises occasionaly coming from the computer that I couldnt figure out. After days of annoyance I determined it was a wire from one of the case fans was occasionly rubbing against the fan blades. But it didn't do it consistently and it drove me crazy for a few days.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Sounds like coil whine, which would be strange coming from a TF III card. Sims 3 probably makes it sound even worse because it's running at a very high frame rate, and gets better for Dragon Age because it's CPU limited and GPU load is low.

The card only makes this sound under 3D load, right?

Tarushanzu

Feb 19, 2013
I'm 100% sure it's coming out from the video card. I've checked, no cable or anything is touching any fan. Only have the weird sounds when I ran the games and the sounds were minimal after I exited the games.

I tired lower the graphic settings in the games, it's better if I lower the settings. But the sound gets louder if I put back the higher settings. :(

Tarushanzu

Feb 19, 2013
Sounds like coil whine, which would be strange coming from a TF III card. Sims 3 probably makes it sound even worse because it's running at a very high frame rate, and gets better for Dragon Age because it's CPU limited and GPU load is low.

The card only makes this sound under 3D load, right?

Yes, Sims 3 is the worst and the sound is very loud.

What is coil whine? Does that mean the card is defective?

And sorry I'm not sure what is 3D load either. Is it something like playing the 3D games like Diablo 3?

Thanks!

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It's coil whine, usually happens when the card is displaying a very high framerate. It's normal, nothing is wrong with the card.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yes, what I mean by 3D load is your card being in an active 3D process, such as a game. Windows desktop is 2D, and in game is 3D.

Coil whine is a high frequency vibration coming from a component that can be on almost any part in your computer, but most likely your graphics card or your power supply.

Are you positive it's not coming from your power supply? Coil whine is to be expected sometimes, but if it's really bad and bothers, exchange or RMA it.

Tarushanzu

Feb 19, 2013
I will swap in a different power supply tomorrow to confirm if it's the power supply or the video card.

But if it's coil whine from the video card and it's normal, I may live with it. As long as it's not damaging the card.

Thanks guys!

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
The youtube video is hard to hear, are you referring to the whine or the mechanical sound in the back?

If it's the whine, is it much higher pitched in reality to the video? That would be coil whine, my 7970 had it whenever framerates went above 100 fps (mainly in menu screens). A vsync cap would fix that. It shouldn't happen on higher end cards with nicer chokes, but sometimes it happens.

Feb 20, 2013
I have an older 6950 TF III, and even with max 100 (BitCoin Mining) I've never heard that before. I'd check your CPU fan first, but like the guy said above. Might just be a coil whine. I'm not sure what to do about that.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
It sounds almost like the a fan is ever so lightly hitting metal fins.

NM, derp! I had to turn my system volume up. Annoying for sure!