MSI service is subpar.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
When you guys buy a video card, does customer service factor in ?
[rant]

You contact their tech support, and you wait days (or a week) between responses, and then they finally end up telling you to return the card where you bought it ?

Eh ? :mad:

Then when you try to RMA it, since it is past the vendor's 30-day period, they don't offer cross-shipping, so you are out a video card for up to 2 weeks not including shipping ?
[/rant]

Is MSI just a bad apple, or do all companies now do this crap ?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I am sending my card in to msi for warranty work right now (one of the fans on the cooler is going bad) and they got back to me within a day of filing the case. Cross shipping is usually only offered in extreme circumstances, i.e. Multiple rma's for the same product, extended warranty purchases...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
After a lot of years dealing with a host of different companies, I can tell you that tech support is non existent. The best thing any of them offers is a forum for product owners. They are all bad. A very few have good customer support which makes up for the non existent tech support such as NewEgg.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
[rant]

You contact their tech support, and you wait days (or a week) between responses, and then they finally end up telling you to return the card where you bought it ?

Then when you try to RMA it, since it is past the vendor's 30-day period, they don't offer cross-shipping, so you are out a video card for up to 2 weeks not including shipping ?
[/rant]

i feel your pain,some(if not all),of these companies are great on paper/but just wait till they have to sort out an rma...atrocious customer support/ive tried most they are pretty much similar in dealing with customers.this is my experiance.

Profanity is not allowed in the technical forums.

Moderator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
After a lot of years dealing with a host of different companies, I can tell you that tech support is non existent. The best thing any of them offers is a forum for product owners. They are all bad. A very few have good customer support which makes up for the non existent tech support such as NewEgg.
agrre with this

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
[rant]

[/rant]

With their crappy products and CS, back in 07 I avoid MSI 100% now.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
[rant]

[/rant]

That was my experience with an MSI RMA...I didn't think it was so bad. I didn't need my vid card replaced asap though. Everyone has different expectations I guess.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
That was my experience with an MSI RMA...I didn't think it was so bad. I didn't need my vid card replaced asap though. Everyone has different expectations I guess.
out of interest.how long was your rma?

llee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2009
when my MSI 5770 broke down, MSI sent me a replacement- a 'premium' 5770 HAWK edition card for free.

never had to deal with their phone service though.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
out of interest.how long was your rma?

I think about the same, 2 weeks.

They sent me a retail boxed and shrink-wrapped replacement card though, which I thought was nice because most RMA's result in you getting a warrantied refurbished replacement.

I mean sure, free next-day shipping and cross-shipping at that would have been better, no argument, but personally I don't mind paying for RMA shipping out of pocket only when I need it versus paying for it by way of a higher up-front pricetag on every product whether or not I actually do an RMA with the product at some point down the line.

Just a personal preference, I can appreciate that others prefer it the other way around though. Kinda like renting versus buying when it comes to your apt/house...there is no one best answer, it depends on the individual's situation.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I think about the same, 2 weeks.

They sent me a retail boxed and shrink-wrapped replacement card though, which I thought was nice because most RMA's result in you getting a warrantied refurbished replacement.

I mean sure, free next-day shipping and cross-shipping at that would have been better, no argument, but personally I don't mind paying for RMA shipping out of pocket only when I need it versus paying for it by way of a higher up-front pricetag on every product whether or not I actually do an RMA with the product at some point down the line.

Just a personal preference, I can appreciate that others prefer it the other way around though. Kinda like renting versus buying when it comes to your apt/house...there is no one best answer, it depends on the individual's situation.
:thumbsup:,i still stand what i said above though...

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000

That's pretty normal.
1. Don't end with an RMA request, start with one. They always don't want to, but it just adds to time, because they'll never figure out and fix your problem, even if the card is fine.
2. Only a handful of companies cross-ship for most cases. It would be nice if more did, in case you have no other video options, and maybe this should help decide your future purchases.

Did they get a new card back you you within a couple weeks, and not a month or more? Did you get passed around with no help at all? Did they completely ignore you? RMAs take awhile, and it sucks, but I wouldn't call having to wait a little bit bad CS.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
My past experiences with RMAs have been, Antec did a cross-ship on the PSU, Cyberpower did a UPS upgrade (total time I didn't have it was 1 week), Iiyama did pre-paid cross-ship + 2 day shipping for their huge & heavy 17" CRT monitor, DFI did a cross-ship after talking to them about the problem., Mushkin cross-shipped some RAM, Micron took 4 days (wasn't Crucial yet), Cannon pre-paid shipping for camera, 3 day service for printer.

I am just annoyed, since I already sold off my old video card, and now I need to get another one, and all the local stores charge 10x-30x more than what they should, *cough*BestBuy*cough*.

MSI's tech support is... well odd. They tell you to use their afterburner utility to look at the temps, even when you tell them there is no video signal from the card. Then they tell you to check after reboot. :rolleyes: I sometimes wonder if this is just a crappy AI program doing the guessing based on what you wrote to them.:thumbsdown:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Ive been lucky with my graphic cards so far, havent had one DOA or in need of RMAing.

Ive had one DOA motherboard (that was a Asus one), and one I needed to RMA.
Both of those it took like a 2 weeks or so before I had a new MB again.

Point is, no matter what brand you buy, you can have issues with the products, either being Dead on Arrival, or you needing to RMA it because of a issue. So the service/support they offer is a thing to consider when you buy a product.

Last edited:

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Seems to be about par for the course. The only RMA I ever did was back on my Radeon 9500 several years ago with Connect3D. Took a couple days to get an RMA response, no cross shipping was offered, and it took about 2-3 weeks to get my replacement card in.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I've had vcards from all major manufactures, but only needed warranty service from XFX which to me was pretty decent, under 10 days as a believe the turn out time was. no clue about MSI service, thought I got a workhorse msi hd4850 that just does everything and never quits.

but your story don't seem to be extreme, I heard some manufacture takes up to 30 days to turn around a repair. still I know 2 weeks is a long time w/o your vcard, I'd be very mad myself.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
MSI's tech support is... well odd. They tell you to use their afterburner utility to look at the temps, even when you tell them there is no video signal from the card. Then they tell you to check after reboot. :rolleyes: I sometimes wonder if this is just a crappy AI program doing the guessing based on what you wrote to them.:thumbsdown:

Some of it might be region-specific.

I filed an email request for support at 8:30am, had a response from technical support by 11:30am, by 2:30pm day we had iterated through 8 more emails just to exchange system specs and perform some basic system checks and by 6pm that evening I had my RMA# in my inbox.

I'm used to this phase of the process taking 2-3 days, not 10 hrs with near immediate response times to my emails.

Maybe I just caught them on a slow day.

Petey!

May 28, 2010
EVGA all the way. Anytime I've had to deal with them I've gotten responses in under an hour, sometimes minutes, and they're SUPER easy to deal with and don't make you run through the normal scripted Q&A if you know what you're doing and have already been troubleshooting.

Plus when they send you the wrong parts by accident, they just tell you to keep them haha.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
I have had good luck and service from MSI...? Year before last year had bought an MSI laptop right at Christmas time and around May 2010 it all of the sudden would`nt boot fully into windows... After trying just about everything I took the HD out and copied everything I wanted off of it and even formated and tried a re-install but no go so put the HD back in and requested an RMA from them and sent it in... Came back in less than 2 weeks with a brand new HD and fresh install of Windows all setup... Also it came back cleaned and has been perfect ever since... Have also RMA`d a couple of motherboards in the past and no problems there either... Just my .02:thumbsup:

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Don't see the big deal about EVGA. Lifetime warranty isn't very useful for most of us. And if your card needs an RMA and they do it fast, well that's great but did you forget that card needed to be RMA'ed in the first place? Not exactly what I'd call good. Seems like their super overclocked cards often get RMA'ed due to inadequate components and/or cooling since they stick to reference designs and don't test the cards well enough for long term stability.

Last edited: