MSI r9 290 gaming temperature issue!

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
My card just arrived today and im excited to test it. after installed it, i tried running with furmark using benchmark 1080p and get 72c temp.
then i run sleeping dog benchmark and found out that my max temp is 83c and avg is 77c in GPU-Z while running sleeping dog benchmark all options are high. i saw other people in other thread get 70-75c with sleeping dog benchmark. please help me

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
How is that possible? Set it manually in afterburner?

In Afterburner go to settings, fan tab and drag the white squares to slightly increase the fan as temperature rises. You will have to play around to find a happy medium for temps/noise.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Those temps are fine. Either set up a custom fan profile or fix your case ventilation...

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Keep going ffs. Create a fan profile in afterburner that curves upwards as temperature increases. They are designed to run at 95c but you can easily reduce this by creating a fan profile that keeps the GPU at whatever temp you like, mine run in their 60's occasionally getting over 70c. Depends which game you're playing but it's fairly easy to keep the temps manageable.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
My advice is to relax and forget about temperatures altogether.
You payed good money to use and enjoy your card, not to monitor temps constantly.

Don't do anything that could void your warranty, and if the card croaks - so be it.
Send it back and ask for a new one.

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
now the temp become 87c. what just happen to my gpu :(

You did a curve that goes lower than speeds that the original curve haves.

No worry if you card is having temps at 83 degrees, its not bad. None temp under 95 degrees will harm your GPU.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I'm a crypto coin miner and although I don't have a 290, I have found that applying thermal grease yourself always drops gpu temps by a few or more degrees centigrade. They really don't take care to apply that stuff even on a brand new gpu.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
i tried running with furmark using benchmark 1080p and get 72c temp.
then i run sleeping dog benchmark and found out that my max temp is 83c and avg is 77c in GPU-Z while running sleeping dog benchmark all options are high

why ?? worry over temps on bench marks or other peeps, it's not like other peeps would open a window at -10c ,then post their low temps would they ? just play a game and monitor your temps.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
The fan design on the MSI 290 gaming (non reference I believe) dumps all the heat from the card into the case.

Add either 1 fan to intake over the card or 1 fan to push air out near the card (may need to mod case). Best is to add one of each, but if only doing 1 fan, make it an exhaust near the cards edge. Put your hand over the top and end of the card (near 6+8pin power) and feel how much heat is pouring out at load. Gotta get that outta of your case.

The card can possibly run <75c at load if you tackle case circulation.

Beyond that, like has been stated, enjoy the snot out of the card. I really like the look of the TFIV cooler, but have been hearing and finding mixed results regarding the quality of the fans over time.