MSI R7950 Twin Frozr barely doesn't fit in case

miltownsho

Aug 17, 2013
Tried to upgrade from a 560ti to the above listed card today on my Inspiron 660 but the very end of the cover of the card hits the hard drive bay making it impossible to install.

It's my own fault for not measuring before purchasing but the price was excellent.

Regardless, is it safe to trim a small amount off the end of the cover on the card. Or maybe cut into the hard drive cage?

I know the best thing to do is just get a new case and move everything over but I am trying to avoid that if possible.

So has anyone ever done this, just trimmed part of the cover on a video card down to make it fit or am I crazy?

Here's what the case looks like for reference.:

z11_062inspiron660-top.jpg

z11_062inspiron660-hddnokasira.jpg

sublime420ec

Feb 7, 2013
i would just trim the case if u got tools handy not that big of a deal.....i wouldn't mess with the card... or just get a new case :hmm:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
that case is not suitable at all for a higher end card that dumps heat into the case. and is that psu even suitable either?

miltownsho

Aug 17, 2013
that case is not suitable at all for a higher end card that dumps heat into the case. and is that psu even suitable either?

PSU has been upgraded. I know the case isn't the best setup, but it works for now.

I just got my 27 inch Dell monitor in as well can't wait to see 2560x1440

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
out of curiosity could you list the exact specs of that pc and the psu too?

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Where are the 6pin connectors? On topic though, just pull the HDD cage and figure out a way to mount the HDD up by the disk drive. I figure you are going to experience not great temps in that case as well.

miltownsho

Aug 17, 2013
out of curiosity could you list the exact specs of that pc and the psu too?

Copied from when I ordered it:

Window 8 PRO, 3rd gen Intel Core i5-3330 processor 3.0 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.20 GHz, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1600MHz-2X4GB

Power supply has been replaced, Blu Ray burner added, and installed a 560ti from the day I bought it in January.

I'm at work and can't remember exactly which power supply I installed, but IIRC its a 600 or 650.

I paid 368 bucks for the computer new a year ago and am pretty darn happy with it for that price. Just wanted to update the graphics even further for the new monitor setup.

Last edited:

miltownsho

Aug 17, 2013
Where are the 6pin connectors? On topic though, just pull the HDD cage and figure out a way to mount the HDD up by the disk drive. I figure you are going to experience not great temps in that case as well.

Pictures above are stock photos, my upgraded power supply has the 6 pin connectors.

I thought about pulling the HDD cage as well but is it riveted in, not exactly sure how to get it out. Is there an aftermarket bracket I can buy to install the hard drive below the two optical drives?

Any recommendations on a different case I can transfer everything over to?

I have never gone through that. Not looking to spend a fortune.

Thank you all for your help.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
You can make it fit. You just remove the 2 screws from the hard drive caddy below, then remove the entire hard drive caddy. Move the hard drive up to the spot under the DVD drive and mount it there.

Should then have plenty of room for that card.

miltownsho

Aug 17, 2013
You can make it fit. You just remove the 2 screws from the hard drive caddy below, then remove the entire hard drive caddy. Move the hard drive up to the spot under the DVD drive and mount it there.

Should then have plenty of room for that card.

The two screws just hold the hard drive in... unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying. Currently I have an additional drive installed as well, but I can live without it.

I'm not sure how to remove the actual caddy itself because it appears its riveted to the frame. Can I just break off the rivets?

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Get a hacksaw or a dremel with cutting disc, whatever.

I agree to attack the case, and leave the video card alone.

Looks like that case can hold three drives up top. Are you saying you have 4 drives total, so need to put a drive somewhere else?

Regardless, you can put drives wherever, and you can even drill new holes to mount screws etc. Also, you may need to cut some new vents and mount new fans to bring fresh air in.

I hacked up an old case using a drill saw bit, where it's a round saw that mounts onto a power drill. Also used dremel to cut away stuff. Go to town on it.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The two screws just hold the hard drive in... unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying. Currently I have an additional drive installed as well, but I can live without it.

I'm not sure how to remove the actual caddy itself because it appears its riveted to the frame. Can I just break off the rivets?

Do you have a drill and bits? Easy to remove rivets as you just need to drill the center on the flat non smashed side to remove them.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
You can get a really good suitable case for not a lot of money. I think the aerocool clones by Rosewill are pretty darn good such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147053

Anandtech has reviews of it and it performs very well and isn't expensive (129$, is on sale frequently for lower prices). I tend to agree with others that a new case will do wonders, as the air flow in that case doesn't look too great for an open air cooled GPU - that is , unless you're running with the side panel off or something. If you're not getting a new case, then it's time to get the tools and mod your case a bit...

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I wouldn't wanna such a card in that case,at one point i had a gtx670 in this gateway dx series case and i went all frankenstein cutting the side door where ventilation was and popped in a noctua 140mm,it looks ass ugly but kept a reference gtx670 cool and has worked wonders keeping my current gtx650 under 60cel....been tempted to buy something like a rosewill line-m but honestly as ugly as this may look,it works wonders.

Op,you adding a side fan at least?I would want some sort of intake fan on such a card as i don't really see one up front,hell at least dremel a hole and do something like i did.:)

hot120

Sep 11, 2009
Are the Dell computers still using proprietary pin-outs that prevents use of Dell motherboards in non-Dell cases?

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Is it too late to send the card back and maybe switch for an nvidia counterpart, ie GTX 760/670? My case will only fit a !0.5 inch card (full tower) which has prevented me from buying top-tier cards from AMD.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Can't run with the side cover off as my cats will probably be dumb enough to climb inside

LOL cats are funny, luckily mine know not to do that, though they do sometimes jump on my mousepad while gaming, makes it really hard to game :/

I would recommend a coolermaster haf as another good case.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Op,if you decide not to dremel a side fan mount for your card and have issues fitting it,considering swapping your card for this particular model....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500307

As far as i can tell from the selection on newegg,this is the only card that sits under 9'' at a tiny 7.68'',i mean hell i had a midget msi tf 7850 sitting at 7.76'' i believe and this zotac gtx760 is even smaller.:)

Think even the microatx width inchs wise is even longer then that zotac gtx760.....thinking about buying this card myself or the gtx660 version.:thumbsup:

miltownsho

Aug 17, 2013
Thanks all for the replies, I hacked the hard drive cage down and installed without issue.

Currently enjoying 2540x1440 for the first time on my new Dell monitor, its fantastic!

Although my bluetooth went out this morning as soon as I finished, go figure.

Either way, I'm happy!