MSI OC Genie Vs ASUS TurboV?

ata786rz

May 20, 2009
Greetings all,

I was going over the reviews and it seems that all overclocking reviews that I came across did not cover the so called ONE BUTTON OVERCLOCK feature except for the Guru3D article on the latest MSI TRINITY MB.
Can anyone tell me what ASUS TurboV actually is? And is the same thing as the MSI OC Genie? Basically overclocking without getting it on ones nerves is great for novice.

Best Regards

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
there both vendor software overclocking programs.

However, they should not be used over a good bios.

Its nice to use to test, but after you got your software settings, you should go into bios and set it manually to the desired settings and not relay in software to do it all the time.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Its nice to use to test, but after you got your software settings, you should go into bios and set it manually to the desired settings and not relay in software to do it all the time.
Curious about this as I am not an overclocker at all, and those marketing gimmicks about one-touch OC did interest me. Is there a reliability drawback in using them?

Corsairs

Feb 28, 2005
Add me to the list of those who would be interested in reading a breakdown of the relative strengths of OC Genie vs. TurboV. I've had my sights set on an ASUS mobo but was recently reading a review of the new MSI Big Bang Trinergy that was very complimentary of OC Genie.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
TurboV is two things. There is the software, yes, but all that really does is run in Windows, change BCLK speed and increase voltages. It doesn't change anything else. It slowly ramps up your BLCK 2mhz at a time and does a short set of torture tests. The highest you'll probably get out of this is 150-160 BCLK with no multiplier changes. And if you're using C-State, the 1-2 core multipliers might be unstable if they are used as the software only really stresses all 4 cores. Not sure if the later BIOSes for the board will disable C-State automatically once BCLK hits 150 in Windows or not.

The other thing is the BIOS level option where you pick a profile such as Performance or Turbo and it restarts your computer several times during POST and changes everything like multiplier, BCLK, voltages, DRAM timings. I think this is similar to the OC Genie button in that it's full BIOS level control that isn't limited by Windows interaction with the BIOS. I selected Turbo and hit the overclock option in my BIOS and the computer restarted at 3.67ghz (193x19) at 1.288vcore 1.3vtt for my 8gigs of RAM. Not as good as some other automatic overclocks I've seen, but my 860 is a bit of a dud.

ata786rz

May 20, 2009
I agree with aigomorla that the best way to determine a good stable level using these software utils and then set it manually through the BIOS. However, OC Genie is hardware based solution rather than TurboV which is entirely software (correct me if I am wrong). Also the overclocked resulting from the torture tests by OC Genie is stored permanently till the button is pressed and the settings are applied automatically at power up. I don't know about TurboV. So from a novice-overclocker point of view, OC Genie does what a pro would be doing. Just that the OC Genie will not be able to acheive the levels that pro will. Never-the-less it seems to be a very good tool.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
I agree with aigomorla that the best way to determine a good stable level using these software utils and then set it manually through the BIOS. However, OC Genie is hardware based solution rather than TurboV which is entirely software (correct me if I am wrong). Also the overclocked resulting from the torture tests by OC Genie is stored permanently till the button is pressed and the settings are applied automatically at power up. I don't know about TurboV. So from a novice-overclocker point of view, OC Genie does what a pro would be doing. Just that the OC Genie will not be able to acheive the levels that pro will. Never-the-less it seems to be a very good tool.

TurboV is, from what I can tell, Asus' catchall for their overclocking stuff.

The BIOS auto overclock is the same as OC Genie and is a hardware implementation (you just don't have a fancy motherboard button you can push and need to instead load into the BIOS, chose a desired OC 'profile' and hit the overclock option).

The separately installable "TurboV" is a software implementation and is unable to tweak the BIOS to the degree that the hardware BIOS option can. However the TurboV is somewhat of a stress test whereas neither the OC Genie or the Asus bios are actual stress tests. I've read plenty of posts on the MSI forums stating that their OC Genie overclocks were not at all stable.

But yes, I'd hit OC Genie or the Asus BIOS option, let it figure something out (my Asus got me to 3.7ghz in 10 seconds) and then run the suite of overclocking stress tools on it and go from there.

ata786rz

May 20, 2009
Thanks. I think that answers the overclocking for novice. "Use the ASUS BIOS option or OC Genie and then stress test your system to check stability."
However, I haven't read the reviews about the OC Genie from the forum but it can be mainly due to the usage of stock cooling. When one overclocks, generally, you need a better cooling solution (there are exceptions though).

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
The separately installable "TurboV" is a software implementation and is unable to tweak the BIOS to the degree that the hardware BIOS option can. However the TurboV is somewhat of a stress test whereas neither the OC Genie or the Asus bios are actual stress tests. I've read plenty of posts on the MSI forums stating that their OC Genie overclocks were not at all stable. But yes, I'd hit OC Genie or the Asus BIOS option, let it figure something out (my Asus got me to 3.7ghz in 10 seconds) and then run the suite of overclocking stress tools on it and go from there.

Ah, thanks for clearing it up, very useful info.