MSI K9NGM2-fid no post. **fixed**

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Got my new toys last evening . MSI K9NGM2, AM2 X2 3800, and 2 ea. 512 MB corsair value DDR2 667. I put them together and the fans spin for about 3 sec. then stop and no post. The PS is a 20 pin LC 450 with 18 A on the 12V.

I tried clearing the bios, and stripping the system to CRT, KB, and mouse only (not even a drive). I tried each mem stick (this is really why I got 2 sticks) alone. I have no spares since it's socket AM2, DDR2, and PCIe. Come to think of it, I'll try and dig up a PCI video card in the pile.

One odd thing I noticed is the CPU fan header is 4 pin. I plugged the stock 3 pin fan in there even though there is no "control" wire coming from the fan, just +12v, -12V and sense.

Locally it's 6:25 AM so I may get some sleep before I check back in here. If you've got ideas, I'm all ears.

Jim

renethx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Several users of ASUS M2NPV-VM reported a similar 3 seconds powerdown problem. A user said that CPU was not properly seated with pressure from the heatsink retension bracket. After reseating CPU, the problem went away. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Thanks renethx, I tried reseating the cpu again with no change.

This K9N ram chart lists the value ram as good; but the DDR2 ram I got says 1.9V and the bios supposedly (can't prove it by me) defaults to 1.8V. If that's true I'd need another stick of DDR2 to get in the bios to make it 1.9V. They say that's the max so I probably won't get 667 speed out of the ram anyway.

If anyone has this board, I'd appreciate knowing what brand and speed of memory works for you.

Jim

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
It turns out the LC 450 PS was bad. I got an Antec truepower blue 480 (best I could do locally, I should have ordered an Emerex 465 from newegg with the other stuff) and it powered up fine.

The Corsair value ram posts properly as 667 dual for those interested.

My old ?system? was a 700 Mhz Athlon and the repair install of XP worked out fine so far. Now to renethx's thread for the install order for final drivers

Jim