MSI K9A2GM-FIH & XP SP2 issues

Mister4x4

Jan 17, 2009
OK - so my MSI K9A2GM-FIH system was running 'OK' but had a 'svchost.exe' process that kept sucking up the system RAM until it topped out at over 2GB. Since Windows decided to simply migrate over to the new MSI devices rather than crash and demand a new installation when I swapped mobos (from an ASUS M2N SLI-Deluxe that had issues), I figured that maybe it's time to simply reload and start fresh rather than spend too much time troubleshooting.

Windows XP SP1 installed just fine. As did all of the MSI mobo drivers from the CD. All of the applications installed just fine as well (Firefox 3.01, Winamp, PaintShop Pro X, ACDSee, MS Office XP, Dreamweaver MX, etc... I'm pretty simple and keep using things that work just fine).

I went to install the TiVo Desktop (so I can pull some recordings across the LAN to my machine for burning later) and it required XP SP2. Fair enough. I installed XP SP2, and lost the sound card. Windows Device Manager says it's still there running properly, however - none of the sound-producing apps can find a sound device.

So far, I've downloaded the latest RealTech HD Audio drivers from MSI with no joy. I've also uninstalled the RealTech software and sound card through Device Manager, rebooted, and nothing. Windows 'detects' the 'new' sound device, installs it and declares everything's fine. RealTech installs and seems happy but can't find a device.

It worked fine before I installed XP SP2... any ideas before I blow out SP2 and attempt another installation?

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
OK reinstall windows again, when your done skip SP2 and install SP3. After that install your motherboard drivers, I would download them first from MSI's website before starting anything. Good luck!

Mister4x4

Jan 17, 2009
I just went with reinstalling XP, chipset drivers, XP SP2, then the updated device drivers and the rest of my stuff.

All's good now.

Thanks for chiming in, though.