MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4 Ultra Socket 939

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Lurker1
Just go for the new Phenom/MSI combo for ~$200. Paired with 4GB of RAM around $60 AR, that would be a smoking deal. I did the Q6600, 4GB RAM , and an Abit AB9 Pro for <$320 about 6 months ago (RAM was $75 AR then). Quad core is definitely where it's at, if you use applications that are multi-threaded.

As a side note, running XP on this quad core system finally showed me the minimum requirements for XP: it is a quad core system. It's the first time I've had a responsive system and was able to reliably kill explorer when it went off into la la land sucking up 100% of 1 core's time (The situation where you usually, if you're lucky, can barely get task manager up to reboot the system or attempt to kill explorer and restart it.)

I agree. I have a Q6600 in a Abit Pro board with 2GB of ram. It's common for me to have too many browser pages open, like 20, and with the Q6600 it's more responsive. Of course, video work is very nice with it. But for the Average Joe user, a socket 939 board with a dual core CPU would be fine for a long time. I think we have reached an era of such powerful CPUs, that exceed what the average user really needs

letsgetsilly

Oct 27, 2002
I've recently installed an Asus 4850 ATI video card that has an on-board Realtek HD audio device for audio over HDMI. After installing this device, I can no longer receive analog audio (which I need) out of this motherboard.

I've tried selected the default audio device to be the Realtek that is installed on this motherboard, but it has no effect. The other advice I've received is to go into the bios and change audio setting to "Enabled" instead of "Auto". However, this bios (1D) only offers "Auto" or "Disabled" options.

Any suggestions? I'd like to no have to install new drivers everytime I want to hook my PC up to my TV.

Thanks!

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: letsgetsilly
I've recently installed an Asus 4850 ATI video card that has an on-board Realtek HD audio device for audio over HDMI. After installing this device, I can no longer receive analog audio (which I need) out of this motherboard.

I've tried selected the default audio device to be the Realtek that is installed on this motherboard, but it has no effect. The other advice I've received is to go into the bios and change audio setting to "Enabled" instead of "Auto". However, this bios (1D) only offers "Auto" or "Disabled" options.

Any suggestions? I'd like to no have to install new drivers everytime I want to hook my PC up to my TV.

Thanks!

Might be best to post a new topic in the video card forum. By the way, what software media player are you using?

letsgetsilly

Oct 27, 2002
Been using VLC, but I don't think it receives the hardware encoding effects. DO you have to use a specific software in order to enable hardware decoding?

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I'm thinking that the software, like PowerDVD decodes the things like Dolby HD, then sends the audio portion to the video card as LPCM to distribute via HDMI. I don't think the hardware decodes proprietary encoded audio like DTS or Dolby. If it did, you would see the Dolby and DTS logos on the video card box. I'm a little uncertain on how the flow goes on some things. By the way, PowerDVD downsamples all HD audio, because of PAP concerns. It's a bummer

EDIT; I probably have something wrong here, since the ATI 3870 card does not send HD audio out via HDMI, and the 4850/4870 does. Hmmm. Maybe the 3870 is bandwidth limited, and the 4850/4870 is not? I know just enough to be dangerous here.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
3870 does send hdmi audio...

when u install the ati sound driver, it becomes the default sound driver... look in audio propreties and set the active driver back to the onboard sound...

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: cubeless
3870 does send hdmi audio...

when u install the ati sound driver, it becomes the default sound driver... look in audio propreties and set the active driver back to the onboard sound...

Yes, I know 3870 does send 5.1 audio via HDMI, it's in the ATI specs.
I said the 3870 does NOT do HD via HDMI.

You have to go to the 4850/4870 to get 7.1 HD audio via HDMI

Dynamyck

Jan 16, 2007
Sorry for reviving an old thread :::

Well, after 3 yrs my trusty K8N Neo4 finally crapped on me (I think) after a power surge. I'm getting no video, no LAN and of course no POST when I power her up. All of my troubleshooting points to the MB. I'd become really attached to this 939 system ... it's satisfied everything I need it for so I've been resistant to upgrading platforms, especially since I paid $177 for 2GB of Kingston HyperX RAM and my Athlon X2 4200+ Toledo runs beautifully in this setup. :laugh:

If anyone has one of these old "Geeks" boards collecting dust I'd be interested in purchasing it. Please PM me if you do. Gonna go check out the FS forum and see what I can find.
:beer:

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Had the same thing happen about 6mo's ago to me (same setup). I was able to get it to post using an older PCI video card but had some other symptoms. I tried ordering a replacement 939 board from another vendor and got a dead one, ended up having to pay Shipping both ways to get a refund. In the end, it was simply time to upgrade.

There are some very nice deals on AMD x2 and x4 systems out there. I saw a whole barebones package with Kuma x2 + 4GB + 320GB + ECS board for < $200 yesterday. Still, $200 is > the cost of a new board by far, but nothing you get will have a warranty so it's a gamble that I personally lost. So, if you can get a deal on an older 939 board more power to you.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I sold my MSI board to a friend. His son is using it now. I need to sell my minty 939 DFI Expert board soon. It's just sitting here.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
mine's still running... it's the last amd box in the house... running a x2 3800 @ 2.5... it's still a contender in the 1400x900 weight class with a 4850 in it...

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I had to sift through this thread to find when I posted...12/30/06! Crunched DC with my 165 @ 2.9 for ages....eventually seemed to die, but a battery pull and CMOS reset brought it back! Still sitting on the bench waiting to be called back up :)