MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4 Ultra Socket 939

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I can't figure out whether this is the K8N Neo4 Platinum or the K8N Neo4-F

The picture shows a firewire port and the specs list one. That would make it the Platinum.

On the other hand it seems to be missing some SATA ports and the drivers link directs you to the the Neo4-F page. Thus leading me to believe its a Neo4-F.

Anyway, I'm jumping on it so I'll let you know what I find out.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
This looks to be a good deal to drop in that FX-55 that being sold at Newegg for 139.00. There are people looking for a good mother board for cheap and this looks like it fits the bill. I picked up this same motherboard in the Platinum version, that wasopenbox from Microcenter two months ago for 26.00 and everthing was still sealed. I can't tell the difference except the Platinum has 8-SATA ports., otherwise it looks the same.

Here's a review of the Platinum board MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum

On the MSI site I found this:
KN8 Neo4 F
KN8 Neo4 Platinum
I can't find this Ultra board on MSI's website.

Edit:
I see on Compgeeks that the MSI part number is MS-7125 is not the whole part number. The Platinum is 7125-010 and the Neo is 7125-060.

LeonarD26

Feb 12, 2004
Knowing very little about the board, what's the difference between the Platinum and Neo4-F? I'm ready to jump too I think..

I just need to decide which proc and PCI-E video card to throw in here... dual core would be nice, but that FX-55 may be just as good... hmmm

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: LeonarD26
Knowing very little about the board, what's the difference between the Platinum and Neo4-F? I'm ready to jump too I think..

So far the only thing I have gathered difference wise is that the F version only has 4 SATA ports and lacks firewire. Other than that I can't tell you.

Also I did jump on that FX55 sunday so thats why I hop'd on this too. Now all I need is a hot deal on a great CPU cooler and a $200 deal on a video card. :D

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Platinum has a second SATA controller that supports 4 more SATA drives for RAID 5, 10.
Platinum also has built in Firewire. Both have Gigabit NIC. I think that's it.

LeonarD26

Feb 12, 2004
Just pulled the trigger... hopefully it'll be a good cheap stable upgrade...

Now to decide on a CPU and video card.

inthell

Aug 30, 2005
HOT

how come all the nforce 4 ultra boards on MSI site have red or black boards and the one at geeks has green. guess its a bulk release board no biggie

BIGFOOTPI

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Seeing as the board is green its most likely an OEM board.
ps- I would bite but only 90day warranty by geeks. Which even further indicates this is an oem build.

LeonarD26

Feb 12, 2004
For a cheap upgrade, and only having 2-3 drives max, it should be fine with me. I just can't decide which CPU to put in this board. I'm leaning towards the x2 4200, since the 3800 is the same price now, and the Opteron 165 is out of stock at most places.

Thanks for the info guys. Other than the lesser sata ports, there shouldn't be much difference between the versions, right??

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SithSolo1
Originally posted by: LeonarD26

So far the only thing I have gathered difference wise is that the F version only has 4 SATA ports and lacks firewire. Other than that I can't tell you.

Also I did jump on that FX55 sunday so thats why I hop'd on this too. Now all I need is a hot deal on a great CPU cooler and a $200 deal on a video card. :D

Didn't the Platinum version have Soundblaster on it? I think that was a reason why some chose that board. This is a while ago as I have not kept up to date on the 939 socket motherboards.

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
i have the platinum version. the PCB is black. the picture on the site doesnt have a black PCB.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: raildogg
Didn't the Platinum version have Soundblaster on it? I think that was a reason why some chose that board. This is a while ago as I have not kept up to date on the 939 socket motherboards.

You are semi-correct, the Platinum SLI edition did indeed have SB Live audio. The single slot Platinum did not.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Did anyone else order this?

I ordered it the first day and my status says shipped but my tracking hasn't updated since the 10th. =/

antmanbee

Dec 31, 2000
Ship date
Oct 11, 2006

Estimated delivery
Oct 17, 2006

Status
Package data transmitted to FedEx

This is all mine shows too. It has been this way for several days.

NasdaqTrader889

Aug 10, 2002
I ordered mine on Thursday when they had the $2.99 shipping code for Wednesday and Thursday only. Got the board Saturday but I'm in the same state as geeks.com so that's the reason it came so fast.

They never did send another email saying it had been shipped.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
This is an OEM board. BIOS for MSI K8N Neo4-FI may or may not be compatible with this particular OEM variant. Geeks is not the greatest for disclosing these matters.

Please report your experience if you update this board's BIOS.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: SithSolo1
Did anyone else order this?

I ordered it the first day and my status says shipped but my tracking hasn't updated since the 10th. =/

FedEx Ground... 'nuff said. Almost as slow as USPS parcel post. Last time (also using a shipping coupon) the first delivery date went by, checked tracking to see a new delivery date a few days later. Mine's supposedly for delivery on 10/18 or so... we'll see.

BTW, someone mentioned in another thread around here that the MSI boards have issues with Winchester CPUs, that they won't overclock in BIOS with those but can with Clockgen. Anyone have more info on that? I may be recycling some Winchester chips in these cheap boards, and don't have to overclock, but will (mildly) if I can.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Anyone get their K8N and have successfully updated to the latest BIOS? Does the board work with MSI LiveUpdate? MSI has several models now where the latest BIOS can only be obtained through LiveUpdate.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Well I got the board lastnight but I still need a video card before I can test it.

LeonarD26

Feb 12, 2004
Mine came in the mail an hour ago... My new CPU is on the way, but I need a new video card (PCI-E..waiting for a deal) too.........