Msi Gtx 680 Lightning 2GB vs. Msi Gtx 770 2GB Gaming/OC

DeAtH $tRoKe

Sep 25, 2013
Title says it all.
I need an comparison between only these specific msi gtx cards only.
I don't want to go for another brand. I'm a big msi fan..

Getting an 6 month old msi gtx 680 Lightning @ 24k(around 370$) could be a good deal than to go for a new msi gtx 770 gaming @33k(500$)..

I play games @1080p monitor(24''). Not much of a overclocker because using GS600. Can overclock in future if i changed my psu to a better one..
Just clear me out that which card is best in performance. As far as my budget i can go even for a gtx 770 also if it is better in performance than lightning 680 one..

And sorry for my bad Eng :(:(

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Get the lightning if you are in hurry but I would advise you to wait until AMD reveals their lineup.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
^ Wait as he said, announcements should be coming today.

Between the two cards, they are the same GPU. The 770 has faster ram. The 680 lightning may OC it's memory pretty high though. I wouldn't pay the extra for the 770 as it's just a rebadged 680 with faster memory. The cores will OC similarly imo, although that's down to the silicon lottery.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I would get the 680, but AMD's new lineup should lower prices :)

DeAtH $tRoKe

Sep 25, 2013
Nvidia always wins the game. Actually i am no more interested in amd cards.
'Physx' is the main factor that i can't leave nvidia side.
Amd always give poor frames in nvidia physx powered games...
Thnx for ur opinion guys..
that clears me out that they are almost same so why spending extra bucks for a new one... Thnx mate...

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Nvidia always wins the game. Actually i am no more interested in amd cards.
'Physx' is the main factor that i can't leave nvidia side.
Amd always give poor frames in nvidia physx powered games...
Thnx for ur opinion guys..

that clears me out that they are almost same so why spending extra bucks for a new one... Thnx mate...

Dude I prefer NV too but this is way too much :biggrin: anyways enjoy your card.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The gtx770 is a glorified overclocked gtx680 anyways,with such a major price difference the gtx680 is the obvious choice.

Enjoy your new card.:)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The 680 lightning is a better card, when you consider the fact that the 770 and 680 are basically the same thing with different clock speeds. What tilts the decision in favor of the 680L is the fact that it has voltage control which will allow you to OC far better than the 770 gaming, and it will perform better than the 770 twin frozr if you overclock.

That said, they're both great cards - If you're not into overclocking, the 770 Gaming is fine. I'm actually quite impressed with MSI's "gamer" twin frozr cooler as well - it is extremely quiet. It has been tested by numerous websites to be the quietest aftermarket cooler available for the 770 and 780. Really, you can't go wrong with either model.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
The 680 lightning is a better card, when you consider the fact that the 770 and 680 are basically the same thing with different clock speeds. What tilts the decision in favor of the 680L is the fact that it has voltage control which will allow you to OC far better than the 770 gaming, and it will perform better than the 770 twin frozr if you overclock.

That said, they're both great cards - If you're not into overclocking, the 770 Gaming is fine. I'm actually quite impressed with MSI's "gamer" twin frozr cooler as well - it is extremely quiet. It has been tested by numerous websites to be the quietest aftermarket cooler available for the 770 and 780. Really, you can't go wrong with either model.

The 680 doesn't have voltage control if bought after ~sept 2012 when Nv ordered MSI to stop allowing voltage ocing. They were on the market for a very short time before nv castrated them.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The 680 doesn't have voltage control if bought after ~sept 2012 when Nv ordered MSI to stop allowing voltage ocing. They were on the market for a very short time before nv castrated them.

You're incorrect actually. It does support voltage control regardless. All you do is flash the BIOS which is freely available from multiple sources. It is on the front page of the OCN lightning 680 owner's thread.

Flash the BIOS, 300% power limit and voltage control.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
You're incorrect actually. It does support voltage control regardless. All you do is flash the BIOS which is freely available from multiple sources. It is on the front page of the OCN lightning 680 owner's thread.

Wonder if they can work with the gtx770?12mv+ increase on mine and the 106% power limit has only allowed a max core clock of 1160....would love to go further.:)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Wonder if they can work with the gtx770?12mv+ increase on mine and the 106% power limit has only allowed a max core clock of 1160....would love to go further.:)

Unfortunately, I don't believe so - the 680L used a CHiL VRM which isn't used on the 770 gaming model if i'm not mistaken. I still think the 770 gaming card is a heck of a 770, though - and it has higher VRAM clocks than the 680 lightning so that should even things up slightly, so to speak.

Of course, overclocking and over voltage has an inverse effect on heat and noise as well. The 680 lightnings I owned were so quiet at stock. Then when I overclocked to 1350mhz+, suddenly not so quiet! But I loved the performance. ;)

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Unfortunately, I don't believe so - the 680L used a CHiL VRM which isn't used on the 770 gaming model if i'm not mistaken. I still think the 770 gaming card is a heck of a 770, though - and it has higher VRAM clocks than the 680 lightning so that should even things up slightly, so to speak.

Of course, overclocking and over voltage has an inverse effect on heat and noise as well. The 680 lightnings I owned were so quiet at stock. Then when I overclocked to 1350mhz+, suddenly not so quiet! But I loved the performance. ;)

This is my second Zotac card,its a very solid card that feels solid in the hands with its thick metal heatsink covered with a metal shroud,i can't complain about it build quality wise.

Far as noise goes it doesn't bother me @75% fanspeed applied as i got a 12,000 btu window unit in my bedroom making hell of a lot more noise then my tower does,my bedroom stays a cool 68 fah all day long and my card for the most part refuses to hit 70 cel when i game,so def room for overvolting and a higher overclock if possible.

Had a strict budget of $400 when i purchased this,was the cheapest @$396 shipped out the door as i recall the other 770s were over $410 when i purchased this.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008

Flashing the BIOS and (likely) voiding the warranty are not the same as coming from the factory and condoned. Technically you can flash all or most neutered 680's with the custom BIOSes floating around.

You can probably flash most of the neutered NV cards, but I certainly wouldn't recommend buying one as if you can overvolt because it's certainly do at your own risk and probably voids the warranty. MSI is a pretty sweet company but I don't know about that one.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
and new generation card means low power usage less heat better performance than gtx680

Just to correct you:

The 700 series uses more power consumption and have a higher TDP than the 600 series. They're based on the same chips (aside from the GK110) with the TDP levels and clock levels bumped up - if you look at objective benchmarks of the 700 vs 600, the 700 uses more power in comparison. The 770 uses much more power than the 680 (well not much, but 20-30W is common). It isn't really "new" generation.

This isn't a big deal since the aftermarket cards (and ref card for that matter) can handle the additional output fine. Nonetheless, your statement is corrected.