MSI Geforce 4 ti4400 color blocks and freezing

Rage3324

May 2, 2002
I just recieved my msi geforce 4 ti4400 today and took out my MSI geforce 2. During the bootup sequence, at the Windows XP loading screen(the black splash screen with the loading bar) I can see color blocks all over the screen. Then right before the windows logon screen, the screen goes black and stays like that. It has booted up once or twice but the color blocks are still there. One of the times, I updated my nvida drivers and 4in1's but it still crashed on the next boot up and still had color blocks. When I boot up in safe mode the color blocks are still there as well. I bought this item refurbished from newegg and got it yesterday. I dont want to send in back for a refund and have to pay 15% restocking fee. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be? My MSI geforce 2 pro is in the computer right now and is working fine. My power supply is ATX320 and I guess that means 320 watts

John - rage3324@aol.com

AMD XP 1700+
MSI GEFORCE 4 ti4400
Shuttle aK31a mobo
512mb pc2100 DDR
Soundblaster Live!
Winxp Pro

RabidWeasle

Jun 2, 2002
I had the same problem with my MSI Ti4400, screen was all messed up and even during bootup there were misplaced letters and the whole screen was screwed up....on the back of your card, there should be a sticker that has LOT on it, look and see if it says LOT 020, if it does, more than likely it is defective because A LOT of ppl have had problems with their cards that were from the LOT 020 batch, and as for the restocking fee, i think that is only if you send the card back and there is nothing wrong with it, so if it is defective, you shouldnt have to pay the restocking fee...but im not sure, i didnt have to pay it when i sent my card back to pcsupplysource.com.

onelin

Dec 11, 2001
I agree, see if it's one in that bad batch, even if it was refurb'd it may not be entirely fixed. Newegg should swap it with another refurb if they have em (without a restock fee) ...talk to Newegg and see what they say, AFAIK most in this forum have had great experiences with em, which is why I ordered my (properly working) MSI GF4 Ti4400 from them a month back...PSU seems a bit low but I doubt that alone would cause that kind of video corruption.

Rage3324

May 2, 2002
Yah it is a LOT 020. So I bet it is corrupted. I emailed Newegg and they said they I couldn't exchange it which is a bummer. Looks like I have to send it back and wait for another one. I hope they do not make me pay the restocking fee. I told them I would wait a month for another MSI refurb to come in and they could send me a new one then.

Is 320 watts really too low?

John

RabidWeasle

Jun 2, 2002
they couldnt exchange it?? is that because they didnt have any more in or what? as for restocking fee,well, you should have asked in email to them, but i do believe it is only if you send it back and it is fine...so ppl dont order something and then cancel order i guess...cause i was worried about it and almost didnt order my card online. as for PS, i only have 350W and i have plenty of hardware in here and everything seems ok, so 320W shouldnt be a problem..heh, my card is supposed to be here sometime at the end of this week. havent heard much about eVGA, hopefully it is a good card

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Is 320 watts really too low?

That should be enough. However, most people say its more about psu quality than quantity. So, if theres a problem with psu quality it could translate into video problems such as yours.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
They shouldn't and wouldn't charge you for a return for exchange. Just send it back anyways and hopefully, they don't have a "refurbed" one and send ya a new one.

Rage3324

May 2, 2002
Windows just booted up after I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and removed the geforce 4 card through Device Manager. The color blocks are still there. Any ideas on what I should try before I reboot? I think I am going to install gainward's drivers

Rage3324

May 2, 2002
I figured out that after every time I remove the drivers in safe mode, then windows will boot up fine, but still with the color blocks. So it looks like it might be a driver problem. As for the color blocks, I think the card is messed.

ganesha

Oct 9, 1999
I'm having the same exact issues with my Gainward Ti4400 I got from Newegg yesterday. I'll troubleshoot after work, but I'm thinking it's just a bad card.

ganesha

Oct 9, 1999
I just tried it in a machine that already was running a Geforce 4 ti4400 and it still had the colored blocks and random characters on the boot-up screens. Looks like I'll be sending back my card as well.

GMC

Apr 26, 2002
Ahhh the Geforce 4400 problems continue... I to have the same graphics problem. Two months ago (yes I've been fighting it that long) I got a Gainward 4400 from newegg. After sending it back to them and getting a new one i had the same problem. After reading some forums I decided to return it to Gainward. They said they had a batch of Bad memory and fixed the problem. So I recieved a new card. I still have the same problem. I called newegg to see if i could get an exchange figuring on a bad card design. To my dismay my 60 days had run out and all they couldn't refund or exchange it. So I figured it might be the ASUS a7v133 I was running, problems have been mentioned before. So I save up and get a ASUS a7v333, no word of problems there. Guess what? Hello same problem. It is less common then it was with the other board, but is becoming more prevelant. I am loath to send it back yet again ($15 each time). I wish I knew what the problem is. Since I don't have access to another computer/video card I can't try other options. I don't think is my PSU since it is ANTECH 303 (300W) and not el cheapo but I haven't checked it yet. Heack I've even moved the RAM to slot 2 so it's not on the same power rail. Still nothing. Hope this helps a bit, but i'd like an answer too.

GMC

ASUS A7V333
Athlon 850MHz
256 DDR DRAM 2700
Gainward GeForce 4 ti4400 (the third)

Airdale30

Nov 4, 2001
maybe there is no answer, the color blocks and freezing are just symptoms of a faulty video card, just get it replaced.

SeanH

Apr 9, 2002
If you get an RMA from NewEgg, they tell you in the e-mail if there's a restocking fee. i got a refund, and because my card wass defective (or the rep felt sorry for me) I didn't have to pay a restocking fee. I lost about $14 in the card.. Shipping at newegg at first (when I bought the Ap64D) was $10, I paid $4 to ship it back. In the e-mail it'll say: Restocking Fee: Yes/No.

It also says it on the status page.

Good luck.