MSI Customer service.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
All these reports of horrible warranty service. Asus and now MSI. I guess that just leaves Gigabyte among companies who offer serial # based RMA and have decent support? No doubt someone has horror stories about them too.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
I had a very good experience with MSI and their RMA. I mean it was so good, they made a customer out of me and I'll be buying an MSI card when I upgrade later.

I'm puzzled why they would completely disregard their plainly stated RMA procedure? I mean, it's in black and white, and then to go off the rails like this and make up a bizarre thing out of nowhere, what? That is not in their stated policy to do that, how in the world? Rogue employee trying to somehow make some money on the side by giving you $455 (claiming it's the MSRP) and then pocketing the difference actually owed to you... that doesn't make sense what in the world?

Seriously makes me wonder... I guess it's not since managers know about your case, but wow. It's really appalling that they tried to lowball you like that. Hope you get good news.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Have you sent them a copy of this thread?

They probably think most people would just settle and they would get away scott free. It only takes a while for justified feedback to make it not worth their while, especially on an enthusiast forum.

BlockheadBrown

Dec 17, 2004
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. Hopefully it'll pan out for you at some point sooner rather than later. It's things like this though that ramp-up people not buying your brand. I'll never buy MSI again, that's for sure.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I had a very good experience with MSI and their RMA. I mean it was so good, they made a customer out of me and I'll be buying an MSI card when I upgrade later.

I'm puzzled why they would completely disregard their plainly stated RMA procedure? I mean, it's in black and white, and then to go off the rails like this and make up a bizarre thing out of nowhere, what? That is not in their stated policy to do that, how in the world? Rogue employee trying to somehow make some money on the side by giving you $455 (claiming it's the MSRP) and then pocketing the difference actually owed to you... that doesn't make sense what in the world?

Same here. I don't get what's going on in the OP's situation other than he an overclocker.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Ok. So they approved the refund without asking me, but it is now for the correct amount of $499.99 . I dunno whether or not I want to settle for this amount due to the fact I had to pay to ship my card in and now will have to have another card shipped to me. I do not think I will be buying from MSI in the future.

FYI Most companies require you to pay the shipping when sending your product to them for RMA services, whether they fix it or not.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
You never agreed to receive a cash offer?

Hmmm, are you interested in going to small claims court? I'm not an expert in contract law, but even if you never agreed to the cash offer/settlement and they throw cash at you, if you accept the cash, that may be construed as acceptance of their offer. So I'm wondering if you can decline the cash, then sue them for them to honor the terms of the warranty and get a replacement card?

It might be a fun learning experience, but determine what the difference would be worth between the $499 cash and what you could get if they honor the warranty.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Sure you are out shipping and time, but I don't think it's worth small claims for a slim chance of recovering $15. Most RMA service requires the customer to pay for shipping to them. The weirdest thing about your saga is that they are claiming to be out of replacements for a card that is only a few months old. Meaning either they didn't set aside even the typical small % of stock for RMA purposes or their first 680 cards have really high failure rates.

Their refusal to ship you the next available 680 card in the lineup is another anecdote on the tight supply.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Ok. So they approved the refund without asking me, but it is now for the correct amount of $499.99 . I dunno whether or not I want to settle for this amount due to the fact I had to pay to ship my card in and now will have to have another card shipped to me. I do not think I will be buying from MSI in the future.

No offense man but you need to suck it up at this point.

Your getting a full refund for the original purchase price. Big deal if you have to eat shipping costs, every RMA I have ever done has required me to purchase the return shipping labels at my expense. That is pretty much standard business practice for just about every company.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I had to RMA a past MSI card because the cooling fans were failing. They replaced the card without any issues.

Same. I RMA'd a ref MSI 5870 that had a bad fan and they sent me a 5870 Lightning as a replacement. The original card was almost 2 years old, but still in warranty.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
No offense man but you need to suck it up at this point.

Your getting a full refund for the original purchase price. Big deal if you have to eat shipping costs, every RMA I have ever done has required me to purchase the return shipping labels at my expense. That is pretty much standard business practice for just about every company.

Always gotta be this kinda reaction in these forums.

If it was you I'm sure your tone would be different.

"No it wouldn't" type comment incoming?

I think its pretty fair assessment that MSI really dropped the ball on this whole experience.

That being said, being offered $499 back is ok, but not ideal. In Canada, we pay 13% sales tax as well. Does that get included? (whatever rates you pay?)

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I think its pretty fair assessment that MSI really dropped the ball on this whole experience.

No, the point is he did all he could and now they are giving him the full $500 back. Yet he still is going to moan about it because he paid $15 to ship it. They did what he originally wanted in the OP didn't they?

thetuna

Nov 14, 2010
I had a good experience with MSI about two years back.
The GTX 465 (don't know why I ever got a 465...) I bought developed artifacts a few months in.
Sent it back to MSI on their dime and got a new 470!! back in a week or two.

The only weird thing about the RMA was the new card came in a little box that just said "Graphics Card" on it.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
I think he is just bitter because he didn't receive the twin frozr card. Which costs more than $499.00.

I wont buy sapphire cards or this very reason.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

That being said, being offered $499 back is ok, but not ideal. In Canada, we pay 13% sales tax as well. Does that get included? (whatever rates you pay?)

The manufacturer shouldn't be responsible for taxes or shipping (except between them via warranty even if one way or no way).

I have been in this game a long time and failures are really rare in any top companies.

If you end up with one, don't try to exploit the warranty policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.