MSI Cubi - booting from 2.5" drive?

dillhole

Apr 1, 2016
MSI Cubi (Broadwell) owners - did any of you have any trouble getting the thing to recognize a 2.5" drive? I haven't ever gotten any of the drives I've tried to show up in the BIOS (2 SSDs and 2 HDDs so far). I can get all of my mSATA drives to show up fine.

The Windows installer can see the drives, but can't perform any actions on them (tells me to make sure the SATA controller is enabled in the BIOS). Trying to use the command prompt within the installer to run a chkdsk/repair/etc on the drives always result in failure. All drives test good in other machines.

I know MSI mentions you can't boot from the 2.5" drive, but I can't see why not. I've seen others here boot from a 2.5" drive. Any ideas? This is my second unit (first one was doa) and I'm pretty much done with them if I can't figure this out. Not worth the hassle.

Thanks!

dillhole

Apr 1, 2016
I was wrong about MSI saying that - an early reviewer of the thing said it.

Yeah, I've come across that thread already. I'm putting W7 x64 on it, the BIOS I have is the correct one for that.

The last post in that thread also says you can boot from the 2.5" drive. There's at least one person here who could as well. Same with this guy.