Question MSI B450M PRO-M2 and be quiet Pure Base 600

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Does the be quiet pure base 600 come with extra standoffs for a µATX motherboard, or do I have to move the currently installed ones by myself?

I already tried moving them, but they're quite firmly in place, and don't want to damage anything by exerting too much force.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have the Dark Base 900, and it only came with 9.

I had to use some from the extras I had laying around from previous cases / builds.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
WAIT! With stand-offs, it is desirable that there be a metal stand-off beneath the mobo at every location that has a mounting hole in the mobo for secure support. But it is IMPORTANT that there should NEVER! be a stand-off under the board where there is NOT a mobo mounting hole! Extra stand-offs in the wrong place can short out a mobo bottom trace to Ground (case). If you look at the mounting holes on the mobo, you'll see small metal "petals" around each one to ensure the screw you turn in there makes contact with the mobo Ground plane. The mobo is supposed to be grounded to the case base plate at each of those mounting holes, and NOWHERE ELSE. Now, this is mainly for grounding out noise stray signals, and actual electrical Ground to the PSU is done mostly by wires in the cables between PSU and mobo, but Ground of the case is also Ground of the PSU.

So, do NOT merely add more stand-offs. You MUST remove any that do NOT match up with a mobo mounting hole, and most often you need to re-locate those to where the mounting holes really are. If you have difficuly removing the existing pre-installed metal Stand-off, try using a small socket from a wrench set, or a nut driver, that has a hexagonal hole of just the right size. This type of wrench gets a much better grip on tight nuts and can give you better leverage than a pair of pliers.

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
WAIT! With stand-offs, it is desirable that there be a metal stand-off beneath the mobo at every location that has a mounting hole in the mobo for secure support. But it is IMPORTANT that there should NEVER! be a stand-off under the board where there is NOT a mobo mounting hole! Extra stand-offs in the wrong place can short out a mobo bottom trace to Ground (case). If you look at the mounting holes on the mobo, you'll see small metal "petals" around each one to ensure the screw you turn in there makes contact with the mobo Ground plane. The mobo is supposed to be grounded to the case base plate at each of those mounting holes, and NOWHERE ELSE. Now, this is mainly for grounding out noise stray signals, and actual electrical Ground to the PSU is done mostly by wires in the cables between PSU and mobo, but Ground of the case is also Ground of the PSU.

So, do NOT merely add more stand-offs. You MUST remove any that do NOT match up with a mobo mounting hole, and most often you need to re-locate those to where the mounting holes really are. If you have difficuly removing the existing pre-installed metal Stand-off, try using a small socket from a wrench set, or a nut driver, that has a hexagonal hole of just the right size. This type of wrench gets a much better grip on tight nuts and can give you better leverage than a pair of pliers.

I literally just came back to message to ask if I could just use the top 2 holes, and leave the rest blank, but you make a good point. So, basically, I'd have to at least remove the old ones somehow, and if they're not broken, replace them into the correct mounting points.

If I can't re-attach them, but am only able to remove all of them except the 2 at the top that I can use currently, will I be using only those 2?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I literally just came back to message to ask if I could just use the top 2 holes, and leave the rest blank, but you make a good point. So, basically, I'd have to at least remove the old ones somehow, and if they're not broken, replace them into the correct mounting points.

If I can't re-attach them, but am only able to remove all of them except the 2 at the top that I can use currently, will I be using only those 2?

You should be able to remove the old ones that you need. Just use a pair of needle nose pliers, and twist them off from the sides. They are made to be able to be moved as Paperdoc mentioned, they have to be able to line up with different mounting holes on various motherboards.

Not using a stand-off in a few mounting holes isn't the end of the world, but using them all helps with the overall stability of the motherboard (especially if you use a big cooler like a Noctua).

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
You should be able to remove the old ones that you need. Just use a pair of needle nose pliers, and twist them off from the sides. They are made to be able to be moved as Paperdoc mentioned, they have to be able to line up with different mounting holes on various motherboards.

Not using a stand-off in a few mounting holes isn't the end of the world, but using them all helps with the overall stability of the motherboard (especially if you use a big cooler like a Noctua).

So, it just needed a little bit of extra force, and it came off.

Got the machine running finally. IIRC, it only uses 6 of the standoffs.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I don't remember exactly, but many mobos have three rows of 3 holes, and I know the µATX boards, being smaller, have fewer. So six sounds right.