MSI 4890 Cyclone

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Source

more discussion

MSI is working on a special HD 4890 card that should feature, Hi-C CAPS, Solid State Chokes NCC PSF solid caps and of course non-reference cooler. The card should be called MSI R4890 Cyclone and we expect it to be quite an overclocker.

The new MSI HD 4890 will use Hi-C CAPS around the GPU which should enable it to have clean and stable power for the GPU, and it should imply that this one might be a very good overclocker. The rest of the known features include Solid State Chokes, also known as the anti buzz chokes, and NCC PSF solid caps.

The card will be cooled by MSI's well known SuperPipe cooler which uses 8mm heatpipes, and according to the picture which we managed to get, it will have four of these.

The card should be ready in time for Computex show, and this might be another card with a GPU clock set at 1GHz, but it is still early to talk about clocks as the card is still under development.

Here are some pictures of the MSI R4890 Cyclone, which will show its face at Computex show in Taiwan.

Jacen

Feb 21, 2009
Now that is a slick fan. My only complaint about this style is the dispersion of heat into the case and not out but still. These 1GHz parts are going to offer some impressive benchmarks, hopefully the prices are competitive.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Jacen
My only complaint about this style is the dispersion of heat into the case and not out but still.

Yeah, those 200 Watts spilled inside the case doesn't look that good. It would have been nice if they could use a variant of the stock cooler, to have the hot air exhausted outside. But it's probably next to impossible to design something like that and also make it quiet, for such high TDP.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
And again, little to no active cooling (or passive for that matter) on the actual VRMs. What the hell is wrong with these companies?

Ironically though - the board itself is reference... otherwise it wouldn't have the AMD stamp on it.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: SunnyD
And again, little to no active cooling (or passive for that matter) on the actual VRMs. What the hell is wrong with these companies?

Ironically though - the board itself is reference... otherwise it wouldn't have the AMD stamp on it.

The card is not reference. You can see that it has a HDMI, vga and DVI ports, instead of the classic dual DVI. The power circuit has been redone too. Even so, it should have some cooling on the power regulators. Maybe the heatsink is there, but we can't really see it in the pictures.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: error8

The card is not reference. You can see that it has a HDMI, vga and DVI ports, instead of the classic dual DVI. The power circuit has been redone too. Even so, it should have some cooling on the power regulators. Maybe the heatsink is there, but we can't really see it in the pictures.

While that's true, keep in mind the newer "cheaper" 4870 reference boards feature the HDMI port and cheaper power design as well.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

I think it's the digital VRMs that require active cooling...I don't think these ones are digital VRMs.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kmmatney
I doubt this coller will be any better than the Acclero S1.

I agree, however it will still be worth buying because of the fact that it will be able to hit 1Ghz %100 of the time and still have a warranty. If you get a stock clock 4890 you might not hit 1 Ghz even with a S1.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Has anyone tried this card? Does it really produce that much heat in the case?

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I have a 1gHz 4890 with a cooler dumping heat in the case, and it's not a problem if you have half decent airflow

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: yh125d
I have a 1gHz 4890 with a cooler dumping heat in the case, and it's not a problem if you have half decent airflow

With an E7200 at 3.5 ghz, of course it isn't a problem. Try running my overclocked CPU and see if it holds. Then those extra couple of degrees, the air inside the case would have with the "cyclone", would really matter and limit your oc or overheat the cpu. The extra heat matters only when your are pushing your cpu on air, to the max. Otherwise, it will just add some degrees here and there, but without to much importance.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006

With an E7200 at 3.5 ghz, of course it isn't a problem. Try running my overclocked CPU and see if it holds. Then those extra couple of degrees, the air inside the case would have with the "cyclone", would really matter and limit your oc or overheat the cpu. The extra heat matters only when your are pushing your cpu on air, to the max. Otherwise, it will just add some degrees here and there, but without to much importance.

It doesn't matter with my setup which currently has no fase cans spinning. Only fans are a 120 on my TRUE (not running passive anymore, but could), PSU fan, two on my musashi.. So with just a couple case fans spinning it wouldn't be a big problem even with an OC'd i7

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Will this card have the "OCCT GPU test blackout" problem, like some 4890s do?
I'm thinking of perhaps getting a 4890 or two, as I recently upgraded to 1920x1200 LCDs (26" Nice!), currently have 4850s in there. But I want to make certain that the cards that I get don't have the blackout problem, as I'll probably run them at max load (Distributed Computing) when I'm not gaming with them.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Will this card have the "OCCT GPU test blackout" problem, like some 4890s do?
I'm thinking of perhaps getting a 4890 or two, as I recently upgraded to 1920x1200 LCDs (26" Nice!), currently have 4850s in there. But I want to make certain that the cards that I get don't have the blackout problem, as I'll probably run them at max load (Distributed Computing) when I'm not gaming with them.

Maybe, but from what I understand, that error is specific to only a couple benchmarks, and doesn't affect the card in any other situations. Who cares if its screwy in a benchmark but works everywhere else?

As for F@H, maybe a GTX275 would be better, nvidia will def have better PPD. Dunno specifics, but ATI isn't very well optimized for it or something

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
So with just a couple case fans spinning it wouldn't be a big problem even with an OC'd i7

Depends how much your are "forcing" the i7. I'm not saying that it's impossible to hardcore overclock an i7, I'm saying that it might be limited at some point because of the videocard spitting the hot air into the cpu cooler.
You see, even if the case it's so greatly ventilated, the hot air coming from the vga heatsink is getting sucked directly into the tower cpu cooler 90% of us have. That certainly puts a couple of degrees more on the cpu and even more when the gpu is loaded at 100%. I made this test when I had the 8800 GT ( which had an S1 on it and was severely volt modded) and even with the side case opened, I was getting some 5 C more on the cpu, when the videocard was stressed at 100%.

So again, I'm not stating that these types of videocard coolers are totally overheating your components, but they just add some extra heat onto them, which in some particular cases ( extreme cpu overclocks) might give us some limitations.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
So with just a couple case fans spinning it wouldn't be a big problem even with an OC'd i7

Depends how much your are "forcing" the i7. I'm not saying that it's impossible to hardcore overclock an i7, I'm saying that it might be limited at some point because of the videocard spitting the hot air into the cpu cooler.
You see, even if the case it's so greatly ventilated, the hot air coming from the vga heatsink is getting sucked directly into the tower cpu cooler 90% of us have. That certainly puts a couple of degrees more on the cpu and even more when the gpu is loaded at 100%. I made this test when I had the 8800 GT ( which had an S1 on it and was severely volt modded) and even with the side case opened, I was getting some 5 C more on the cpu, when the videocard was stressed at 100%.

So again, I'm not stating that these types of videocard coolers are totally overheating your components, but they just add some extra heat onto them, which in some particular cases ( extreme cpu overclocks) might give us some limitations.