MSGSRV32 has caused an error in DEVCON32.DLL => SB Live! Platinum 5.1

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
On bootup, after my wallpaper shows up, a dialog box stating that MSGSRV32 has caused an error in DEVCON32.DLL I can still move my mouse, but the booting sequence doesn't finish. I have to reboot it a couple of times until it finally boots through for once. After formatting for a second time, I left the soundcard uninstalled. Sucks, no sound... anyway, someone said installing Liveware3 would help. But it locked up my computer for some reason once when I was trying to install it, so I'm sitting tight until I research more on this topic. I've contacted Creative, but after a couple of days, I'm still waiting for an email. Getting twitchy here. I don't really have time to call them... (college is kicking my ass...) so I'm just going to wait for an email reply.

By the way, this is a cross-post sorry... here's a link to the original post in technical support: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=32&threadid=262347

Any help would be appreciated... thanks...

edit: forgot to mention that I am no longer getting the PCI/IRQ issues after formatting... oh and I'm running Win98SE...

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Finally broke down and called tech support today... called them an hour right before they closed. Anyway, I basically uninstalled my USB speakers... and everything seems to be working now. If anyone else ever runs into a similar problem, here's the solution. Basically you can't have two mixers. Go to START/ Settings/ Control Panel/ Multimedia/ Devices/ Mixer Devices... and make sure there's only one Mixer in there. If there's more, uninstall/disable them...

in addition, member "The Corm" had the following to add: The Cards use 2 IRQ's, one for the main device and one for the emulation (which improves game sounds).

The way to get around this is to get Liveware 3.0 or higher and to then go into device manager and allow LPT sharing on the SB Emulation, this frees up an IRQ (usually 5).