MSCE + MCSA + MSP + security all for $3985 discounted test fees not included in that price.

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
thinking about getting my MCSE 2003 and a highly reputable school is offering this course for $3985.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Sounds good to me, I paid about $6,000 for just four MCSA classes a couple of years ago. The worst part...I never took any tests and I'm still paying that loan off. You could probably pass the tests by just studying the various books out there...oh well, live and learn. But I think a boot camp might be the way to go. Finish it all up quick!

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: gregshin
thinking about getting my MCSE 2003 and a highly reputable school is offering this course for $3985.

i don't have any idea if it's a decent deal, but i do know that if you're trying to land a decent job on the strength of certs alone you're going to be disappointed.

imported_Trippin315

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2004
Originally posted by: hungfarover

i don't have any idea if it's a decent deal, but i do know that if you're trying to land a decent job on the strength of certs alone you're going to be disappointed.

Agreed.

Let's see here Mr. Gregshin, You have multiple certifications, how did this help you at your former position of selling womens' shoes?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: InlineFive
How long before you have to recertify? At that cost?! :shocked:

Microsoft certs are not like Cisco certs where the certification expires after x amount of years. You get certified for each OS normally like Windows NT MCSE, Windows 2000 MCSE, and Windows 2003 MCSE.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
im in IT already

can we please stick with my main question?

I'd get certified ONLY if I was looking for another job or to get a promotion. In this business experience matters most, however if you were to compete for a job/promotion with someone of similar experience but with lesser or no certs, you'll come out on top.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Certs = worthless, especially Microsoft certs.

In some cases, they are even viewed as a negative.

Originally posted by: AnyMal
In this business experience matters most, however if you were to compete for a job/promotion with someone of similar experience but with lesser or no certs, you'll come out on top.

The 2nd half of that quote is completely untrue. At least for any place you would actually want to work. The places that see certs as a positive are typically bureaucratic clusterfvcks. If that's not what your looking for, don't bother with the certs.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: glugglug

That's a pretty broad statement and quite false I would say. As AnyMal stated, if you are going up against a guy for a job and you both have experience and do well in interviews the certs could set you apart. Also, I know some managers that for whatever reason, like to see the certs.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Originally posted by: InlineFive
How long before you have to recertify? At that cost?! :shocked:

Microsoft certs are not like Cisco certs where the certification expires after x amount of years. You get certified for each OS normally like Windows NT MCSE, Windows 2000 MCSE, and Windows 2003 MCSE.

exactly, M$ certs (the $ is fitting here!) expire whenever they wish.

They told my dad he had 6 months to retake his MCSE to "update" his certification, or he'd loose it. I wonder who's making the money off him re-taking half a dozen tests at $100+ each? Hummm... I have no issue with making people retake a test for their certification. But all of them? come on! One compiled test for 100 bucks would be good enough.

and to the person who said having the cert will hurt more then do good. "HUH"? is all I have to say. You can't be serious in thinking a person proving them know something is ever bad can you?

About the retaking, my dad had to do this 4 years ago, things might have changed since then. But I somehow doubt it...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
for you to pay? or your employer? if a company is paying, that is ok
i think that is way too much for a person to pay on their own

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

In this business experience matters most, however if you were to compete for a job/promotion with someone of similar experience but with lesser or no certs, you'll come out on top.

The 2nd half of that quote is completely untrue. At least for any place you would actually want to work. The places that see certs as a positive are typically bureaucratic clusterfvcks. If that's not what your looking for, don't bother with the certs.

It's most certainly true and spoken from experience. Having certifications when competing with people of equal skill level will give you an edge.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I'm going to have to debunk this post. As somebody that has served in IT from the staff to the director level for 14 years it is just untrue. Many of my friends are highly skilled 10+ years of experience IT professionals and they all pull down 100-200K a year in the midwest. Some are certified, some are not. Certification does give you a little bit of a nod when looking for a job, just a little bit.

Real professionals don't mention it at all but do list it on their resume. It surely doesn't hurt. I deal with and direct CCIEs on a daily basis. Not a single one of them ever even mention it. They prove they know their stuff easily by just talking with them.

Now if somebody lists a ton of certs in their E-mail signature then you know they are full of it. But don't discourage somebody from seeking certification because if nothing else they get some very good training and learning from obtaining these certs. A look at job postings should reveal some of the following - "BSCS required, XXX certification preferred"

Couple that with the fact that I'm a consultant and get special access to areas unavailable to those without with certifications brings a ton of value to any client.

My MCSE coworker just bought a million dollar home at age 30, in the midwest. It's not because of any certification it's because he is very sharp and is easy to work with. But his certifications got him a nod and a "we need to talk to this guy"

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I'll give my honest opinion. I only have my A+ but if I didn't have it, I would not be working where I am today and I would have been looked over and would probably be at a miserable job in which I dislike and would probably be very depressed. It CAN get you that interview but, like what everyone else has said, experience is worth a lot more.

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
Here's my opinion on certs....It doesn't hurt to have them and that said, $4000 is a real bargain. During class, you'll get to ask many questions that relate to real world experience that the books cannot possibly teach you..while the books will fill in the blanks. The info will be an invaluable asset to your career and since you're in IT already you're in a good position to take advantage of getting certified. You'll only go up in salary and responsibility.