MS Word question about numbering sections of a document

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have a Word doc that's 50 pages long. It is a scope of work for a project. I separated the scope of work into 7 phases, with each phase having its own heading (IE Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3) followed by text describing what should be done in each phase (IE task 1.1, task 1.2, task 1.3 etc). We later decided we didn't need phase 2. So I deleted phase 2 out of the document but now I need to go back and re-number Phases 3-7 to be Phases 2-6. Is there any way to do this quickly in word as I often run into things where I need to remove a section and then everything after that the numbering needs to be redone.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Assuming you used the built in numbering and \ or used styles (as opposed to manually numbering them or manually setting each section to look a specific way) then it is easy.

Ctrl - a to select all
F9 to renumber all tables, figure numbers, heading numbers, tables of contents, redo any references \ end notes \ links \ glossary \ etc. in the selected text.

F9 is so powerful that I detest anyone who applies styles manually. Not only do you have to manually update everything over and over (like all sections in cases like yours), but far too people are detailed enough to get the manually applied styles consistent. Just use the styles and edit styles as you wish.