MS Security Essentials 4 out of beta

Discussion in 'Security' started by WT, May 3, 2012.

1. WT

WT Diamond Member

Should be updating on end users PCs, but for those of us that want the link to the newest version to install on a customer's PC, here it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

This version actually uses less memory than the previous version 2. Enjoy !

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Security Essentials beta Forum Date
    Best security forum Security Sep 12, 2017
    A critical Apache Struts security flaw makes it 'easy' to hack Fortune 100 firms Security Sep 6, 2017
    Novice security questions Security Aug 16, 2017
    Top Security Firm May Be Leaking 'Terabytes' of Confidential Data From Fortune 100 Companies Security Aug 9, 2017

3. Wyndru

Wyndru Diamond Member

I hope this version correctly detects rootkits and rogue av software. I still have to run malwarebytes on most computers at my job that have MSE just to detect them. I like how uninvasive it is, but I expect it to detect viruses and malware once in a while. I rarely ever see it actually flag anything even though it's clear the machine is infected (especially with fake antivirus software).

4. Ryland

Ryland Platinum Member

Every machine that I know of that has been infected with scareware (fake antivirus) had MSIE installed. Ive switched everyone I know off of it because its just not good enough.

5. SHahsmerdis

SHahsmerdis Junior Member

Will this pop up automatically in updates? and I always have done Malwarebytes pro + MSE. its a very good combination, pretty much gets everything.

6. mechBgon

mechBgon Super Moderator<br>Elite Member

You might want to investigate the use of Software Restriction Policy: http://www.mechbgon.com/srp Very potent blanket defense, but it does take some comprehension of how it works in order to admin the systems.

7. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

I wish MSE had a version page for the app rather than just definitions.

How do you know what version you actually have?

8. FoxFifth

FoxFifth Member

In MSE click the down arrow beside "Help" at the upper right of the screen and the click "About Security Essentials"

9. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

thanks, on Version 4

10. Wyndru

Wyndru Diamond Member

I've just given up and written scripts that lock down common sections of the registry where viruses commonly start from (in addition to setting limited user). We have about 95% less viruses since I made the change. I don't know if the same script will work when we go to Windows 7 though.