MS really getting "Forceful" about Win11 installation for Win10 users.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's a Crucial MX500 1TB and some old Seagate 240GB model. They only had Steam/GOG game installs and nothing important fortunately.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I set up 11 on the gaming PC. All the drivers and app files transferred automatically (including obscure things like X-fi drivers) and the setup was surprisingly smooth. The BIB theme, Open Shell and Explorer Patcher make it look just like 10. There was one strange problem, 11 could not read two data SSDs at all that worked fine on 10, and behaved as if they were unformatted. Macrium could still read them so I just re-imaged them.

It would be interesting to check the event log around the time of the upgrade to see if any disk related errors/warnings pop up. It would be clever of an OS upgrade to mark non-essential volumes as read-only during the upgrade, somewhat less clever to forget to revert that change afterwards.

If it had been one SSD with this problem I would have suspected a fault, but with two at the same time seems incredibly unlikely... unless there's an underlying issue.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It would be interesting to check the event log around the time of the upgrade to see if any disk related errors/warnings pop up. It would be clever of an OS upgrade to mark non-essential volumes as read-only during the upgrade, somewhat less clever to forget to revert that change afterwards.

If it had been one SSD with this problem I would have suspected a fault, but with two at the same time seems incredibly unlikely... unless there's an underlying issue.

11 was showing the drives as unformatted and unallocated, with the only option available in the Disk Management tool to create a new volume. I have six drives and the other four worked fine, including another Crucial MX500 that was identical. They have no errors in Crystal Disk Info either. It may have been possible to restore them with some effort but since I could still make a backup, I didn't pursue it.

I recall having some issue even when going from 8 to 10 several years ago. It was putting the recovery partition on some other, non-OS drive. It may be best to manually disconnect all non-OS drives when doing a Windows upgrade.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
....I recall having some issue even when going from 8 to 10 several years ago. It was putting the recovery partition on some other, non-OS drive. It may be best to manually disconnect all non-OS drives when doing a Windows upgrade.
Always a good idea. For clean installs and upgrades.