MS Outlook refuses to work - Can't fix it

PreachTru

Sep 19, 2002
I am using MS Office 2010 Pro on Win7 x64.

The other day my outlook stopped working completely. Each time I start outlook it instantly pops an error window up saying "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working" and then tries to search for a fix. A few seconds later the error message changes to "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.", and then force closes outlook. Outlook will start in safe mode just fine, but not normal mode. Nothing changed with my PC between when it was working and wasn't working. It mysteriously stopped working and refuses to budge now.

I did a google search for problems/fixes and this is what I have tried so far (still broken):

• Removing my mail profile and making another profile
  • Microsoft .pst scanner/fixer
  • Uninstall & reinstall of outlook/office
  • Malwarebytes scanner
  • Combofix scanner
  • Kaspersky Antivirus scan

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
How about disable all the Outlook Add-Ins, if that helps turn them on 1 by 1 until it crash again.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Do you have System Restore points? It sounds like an automatic update broke it so if you can restore to a point earlier than that, it should work again...

PreachTru

Sep 19, 2002
How about disable all the Outlook Add-Ins, if that helps turn them on 1 by 1 until it crash again.
Yea, I did some more research and it looks like it has something to do with windows indexing service. I disabled the search add-in and it works for now. I just can't search any of my email now.
Do you have System Restore points? It sounds like an automatic update broke it so if you can restore to a point earlier than that, it should work again...
The only restore point available to me is from when I reinstalled office a couple days ago. No restore points prior to that.
Cant you just use windows live mail?
If your car broke down couldn't you just walk everywhere? Why bother trying to fix it? :whiste:

PreachTru

Sep 19, 2002
I also can't download any embedded graphics/images in emails. If I select the option to show graphics/images then Outlook crashes and gives me the same error previously mentioned.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
It seems like you've covered the obvious things to check. If everything is patched and up to date and these errors persist, I would suspect some OS problem. I hate to suggest this, but it would probably be good to consider a complete system reinstall.

After reinstalling -- install ONLY Office 2010 and Microsoft Security Essentials. Then update everything with Windows update and reboot. Finally, configure Outlook and make sure that the problem is resolved. After confirming that the issue is fixed, gradually reinstall your other software, testing along the way to make sure that the problem hasn't reappeared.

Good luck!

nitrous9200

Mar 1, 2007
how about setting up a new Windows user account and trying to setup outlook on the new account?

PreachTru

Sep 19, 2002
Anything in the Event Log????
Yes there is. On 06 Jan my event log started filling up with this...

Faulting application name: SearchIndexer.exe, version: 7.0.7601.17610, time stamp: 0x4dc0d019
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e21213c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd
Faulting process id: 0x1040
Faulting application start time: 0x01cccc7d53f3e3e0
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

PreachTru

Sep 19, 2002
1. Open the Control Panel and double click "Indexing Options".
2. Click Advanced and click Rebuild.
3. Click OK.

Tried that. I am unable to rebuild. Once that window is open it briefly flashes some items in the indexing window, and then goes to blank. It repeats this over and over. Clicking the rebuild button doesn't do anything. It just produces more errors in the event log.

The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 731 time(s).

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Try clicking Start, click Run, type services.msc and click OK. Find Windows Search service and stop it. Then try rebuilding.

PreachTru

Sep 19, 2002
Pretty sure I'm going to have to do a fresh install of Windows. I can't get to the services.msc, it crashes as well. I tried rebuilding my user profile, but a lot of other services started crashing in the new profile.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Sounds like there are some serious underlying OS issues. A reinstall might be the quickest way to get this fixed. Good luck.

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
This might also be caused by faulty hardware I would suggest running software to check your memory and hard drive to ensure you are not experiencing data corruption

r3pmac

Jan 11, 2012
If you have install SP1 for Windows 7 x64, you might want to try this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2575077

This deadlock actually causes random freezes on any application of windows 7 x64 sp1. It doesn't hit all but only randomly. Is mainly caused by memory leak from the patch.