MS code references "morons" and "idiots"...

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Just having that code around might give interesting insight for those rare times when you get errors that reference actual source code files. I remember getting a "user.h" error quite often in Windows 2k (part of the reason I went back to Me for a while). Now, it's kind of funny to see this:

private\ntos\w32\ntuser\client\nt6\user.h:
* The magnitude of this hack compares favorably with that of the national debt.

Eh.. maybe it's not related... but it's amusing nonetheless. That user.h error got me really really pissed off.. enough that I almost took it out by physicially destroying hardware.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
they also had parts of code where they just stopped half-way, turned it into a comment, and wrote fsck it

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: johnnytightlips
How do we know that those comments weren't added later?

Added later by *who*, precisely? Only those with access to the source code would be able to add comments, it's not like you can just decompile a program, add some comments, and then recompile it ;) Well, you could, but that's pretty lame...

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Just having that code around might give interesting insight for those rare times when you get errors that reference actual source code files. I remember getting a "user.h" error quite often in Windows 2k (part of the reason I went back to Me for a while). Now, it's kind of funny to see this:

Eh.. maybe it's not related... but it's amusing nonetheless. That user.h error got me really really pissed off.. enough that I almost took it out by physicially destroying hardware.

You went from 2000 to ME? :confused:

How do you sleep at night?

Have you repented?

:)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

Added later by *who*, precisely? Only those with access to the source code would be able to add comments, it's not like you can just decompile a program, add some comments, and then recompile it ;) Well, you could, but that's pretty lame...

the ppl who first leaked the code could...

unlikely but they could have

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002

It's not like the code zipped itself up and found its way onto P2P apps. Someone did the dirty work, how do you know that person didn't add the comments himself?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000

Hmm, the code that was leaked wasn't compiled. Otherwise it'd be called SP1 install...

Either way, I don't find those comments out of the ordinary. I'm a software developer myself and I run into comments like that all the time.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ELP
Originally posted by: brxndxn

You went from 2000 to ME? :confused:

How do you sleep at night?

Have you repented?

:)

I don't hink ME gets enough credit for what it was. Despite all the people complaining about it, it ran perfectly stable on my system. It had drivers for everything. It was great with media and my games never crashed. With Windows 2000, I got 'user.h' errors. I got them every time I booted and eventually it pushed me over the edge.

Also, Windows 2000 didn't have any available drivers (at the time) for some of my hardware so I ended up not having access to it.

I run XP now, of course. IMO, XP is the best of all the MS operating systems.