N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
Greetings All
Could someone explain to me how someone downloading MP3s from other computers or even places on the web and then gets caught...my question is how does someone get caught if they use firewalls and such protection???

Just wondering as I understand another person got busted just a little while back (I think within a month) and received a very heavy fine (like millions), so is anyone actually safe on their own computer from the government?? Thanks

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
All of the internet activity you generate can be logged\monitored at the ISP level.

A firewall attempts to prevent people from gaining access to your system remotely it does nothing to anonymize activity. Its like the lock on the door to your house, it doesnt stop people catching you do illegal stuff in your front yard (not a great analogy but hey I tried).

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
If you connect to my system, I can get your IP address. Send my lawyers after the ISP and I've got all of the "proof" I need.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
If you connect to my system, I can get your IP address. Send my lawyers after the ISP and I've got all of the "proof" I need.

Thnaks for answering, I am aware of your statement but how do they know how many songs you've DLd without you letting them into your system....seems kinda strange to me.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: N2gaming

Thnaks for answering, I am aware of your statement but how do they know how many songs you've DLd without you letting them into your system....seems kinda strange to me.

Because every action can be recorded at the remote site.

IP 123.45.67.89 accesses NameOfSong.mp3
IP 123.45.67.89 downloads NameOfSong.mp3
IP 123.45.67.89 accesses NameOfSong2.mp3
IP 123.45.67.89 downloads NameOfSong2.mp3
Etc.

In many cases its via P2P, agencies that are tasked with finding those that pirate will join sites and networks and see who is sharing\downloading what when they catch someone they subpeona the ISP for your info (name\address).

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

The recent $1.9M case involved kazaa. Media sentry agents connected to the reported share and saw the number of files being shared. They also successfully obtained one or more of these files through the file sharing network. At least, that's what they say. I did see an article about errors in their evidence gathering processes that I found quite staggering.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
well, our courts are at it again...

more crap

this really pisses me off since the gangsters and hardened criminals get away with murder and everything else under the sun and then the courts do this...its fvcking crap

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
well, our courts are at it again...

more crap

this really pisses me off since the gangsters and hardened criminals get away with murder and everything else under the sun and then the courts do this...its fvcking crap

So the courts should only focus their efforts on the most serious felonies and ignore other crimes? The fines being imposed on him seem excessive, but I don't have much sympathy for this guy.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
So the courts should only focus their efforts on the most serious felonies and ignore other crimes? The fines being imposed on him seem excessive, but I don't have much sympathy for this guy.

I didnt say that however, if you think that the persons should get into some type of trouble that certainly is fine.

But to absolutely ruin a good persons life is simply wrong. Probably most everyone here at one point or another had Dl'd some songs in their life. Does it make it right no but I think starting off with a warning or even a couple hundreds dollars is a good starting point.

And then if they keep getting popped then doubling the fine but to start off by ruining someone for something this minor, at least to me is wrong.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Encourage people to stop feeding the machine. I rant about the entirely stupid music industry monthly, I think my wife's learned to tune it out now.

There's no reason the top 20 songs should be the same goddamn songs over and over and over. They should all be replaced frequently. I shouldn't have to hear the same songs every hour, and the same performers 100 times per day. There's enough music out there to support this, but too many sheep to make it practical. *sigh*