mp3 jukebox for NT

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
I'm rewiring the house and thought I'd add some audio lines from my NT server box to the stereo. Original intention was for radio stations from the internet but have decided to also go with an MP3 jukebox. So now I'm looking for a program to use. It needs to run under NT (preferably as a service but I can live without that) but more importantly can be controlled from an computer on the network. Doesn't matter whether I need to install a program on the networked computers or could run it through a web browser (maybe a good idea, maybe not) Anybody have any suggestions? I remember seeing a program that allows remote control of the mp3 files but I can't remember what it is called.
Thanks a bunch.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
just install winamp and vmware I think its called, then you can just log onto the nt machine remotely and change

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
courtesy bump

I'm interested too ;)

I would vote for a program to be installed on the other computers so you could get at it quicker (without having to load a webpage). Maybe something that resides in the system tray. The server piece could launch Winamp and send Windows messages to control its functions.

It wouldnt' be all that hard to write something like that...

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Bigjon: that's an idea. I've been thinking about this some more (slow day at the office) and I'd actually like to see both a mini program for clients and a web interface (for visitors). Glad to see some others are interested. Been meaning to post this for a few days. Just have been too busy.

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Do you guys think there is a program out there that would allow the comptuer to be controled by a remote control? Not a wireless one but one that would go down into the stereo and then control it right from the stereo so another computer wouldnt be needed?

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
MP3 Anywhere from X10 does that - www.x10.com

I'm writing a program that translates the RF signals from their remote (it has an IR transmitter to control A/V equip and an RF transmitter that sends keycodes to a receiver connected to a serial port). My program reacts to these commands and does a little more than their own MP3 software does.

Their software just has basic Winamp functionality (fast forward, stop, play, etc), so it might work for most cases.

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
I run X10 for lights. I don't run any of their software because it is not well written. I too have written my own programs for x10 until I discovered homeseer.
But I'm looking for a little more sophistication. I want to be able to create and change playlists.

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Thanks bigjohn! I'll give that a try. Hmm if you ever get that program written do you think I could get a copy of it?

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
Nutcase - Sure, I'll look up this thread and let you know if/when I finish the program. Big if though - I have a bad habit of starting a program then going on to another before it's done :eek:

It uses speech synthesis to announce which playlist you're selecting with the remote. Maybe I bit off more than I should chew - I tend to get bored when I write a program that that big. Oh well, when I get some more time... :D

cavingjan - Agreed, X10s software sucks :( What is homeseer? The software I've been working on changes playlists and something I call a "playset" - a playlist of playlists (so I could have a playset called "Jon's music" which would contain my favorite playlists or "by Artists" which would contain such playlists as "Edwin Mccain" and "U2" or whatever). Have any of you seen a program that uses something like playsets? I dunno, it seems like something that someone should have already thought of.

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Homeseer is a program written by Keware that controls the house lights via X10 switches and modules. Sweet program. Includes a mini web server so you can control the lights from the network or internet if you have a permanent connection. Also allows you to phone into the system and turn things on and off and also has the same function with email. They raised the price to $70 from $40 but its still worth it. Rich is really good about fixing things and adding new features.