Moving to Chicago - Good places to live...

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
I am moving to Chicago next week (around Deerfield area). Any recommendations on places to live? I am looking for a nice (relatively inexpensive) 1 or 2 Bedroom apartment.

Better yet, what suburbs should I avoid?

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
LoL. Don't move by me! Welcome to the Windy City..whenver you get here.

[edit:You got any kids?]

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: hytek369
I am moving to Chicago next week (around Deerfield area). Any recommendations on places to live? I am looking for a nice (relatively inexpensive) 1 or 2 Bedroom apartment.

Better yet, what suburbs should I avoid?

I don't think "Deerfield" and "inexpensive" go together.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Whatever you do go north to live :p The towns south and west are expensive.. Northbrook, Arlington Heights... all decently expensive... however just look around. I found a very nice apartment for decent price in Wheeling, didnt move there, but found it :p

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
thanks for the tips.

i do not have any kids. i just graduated college, so i am still really poor. hence, i need a decent place to live at a decent price.

anyone know any good (aka: cheap) movers or moving trucks?

u-huals are not available for another 2 weeks.

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
are there any towns to avoid?

how is the following:

Buffalo Grove
Palatine
Wheeling
Prospect Heights

thanks for all the advice guys

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
chicago is a good place

weather was 2 nasty for me

after 1 year i moved back to So Cal

best of luck though, you will have fun in Chicago

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
if your low on cash, and don't have kids right now, stay away from living in north shore for the time being :)

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Deerfield != Chicago
Deerfield != Cheap

Schaumburg = Tax Hell, but some houses < $80k. (gotta look though)
Bartlett, Hanover Park, and area != Cheap
NorthWest = Cheaper. I would try to stay West of 53, North of 290.
South, West, and SouthWest != Cheap

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Wheatmaster
if your low on cash, and don't have kids right now, stay away from living in north shore for the time being :)

i can't. i work in that area.:brokenheart:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
deerfield hmm.. thats sorta close.. tryin to think of the 75th st area.. probably totally wrong.

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
yeah, when i work for a few years i can, but i think i will transfer to somewhere else like florida, lol

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
how did the move go?

i'm going through the same experience (moving to an apartment in chicago at the end of July, no kids, just finished school). can anybody who lives in chicago PM me to offer help?? Or, even be willing to answer my stupid questions on Yahoo Messenger??? Please!! :)

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Northwest suburbs are good... nice mix of expensive/inexpensive property... easy access to the city.. etc

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I live in Wheeling, and its about 10-15 min from Deerfield .... homes around here are MUCH less expensive than Deerfield and I have no major complaints. (I don't live in an apartment, and I don't know what rent is around here)

When it comes to houses and condos, Generally Palatine and Prospect Heights are less expensive, and Buffaro Grove is more expensive.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
I live in Palatine right near the border of Arlington Heights. There are some ghetto neighborhoods but it's a decent suburb I guess. I like the NW burbs more than any other area I think. I can go to the city with ease and still have the luxury of being in suburbia. Just grab some periodicals and check out different appartments.

-silver

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Deerfield.
Buffalo Grove
Niles
Northbrook.

^_^

welcome to IL.

are u a hot chick by the way. pahahahaha...

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: agnitrate
I live in Palatine right near the border of Arlington Heights. There are some ghetto neighborhoods but it's a decent suburb I guess. I like the NW burbs more than any other area I think. I can go to the city with ease and still have the luxury of being in suburbia. Just grab some periodicals and check out different appartments.

-silver

Do most people consider NW burbs to be around Schaumburg or by Algonquin, or both?? I'm trying to get an idea of cities that are considered NW...

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
I also live near bg/palatine... living up in the 'burbs is good, its not crowded and dirty like most of chicago ;)