Moving to another state, taking PC, any moving tips?

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
This June I'll be moving to another state. The driving distance is around 900 miles or so. Anyway, I'll be taking my PC along with me. I'm worried because the ride is bound to have bumps here and there (my car has 17" wheels without much tire to cushion). The main thing is I'll have a heavy Thermalright SP-97 attached to my mobo, if my computer is getting bumped around that certainly cannot be good for it. What is the best method for moving this thing? I'd prefer not to take apart my PC as it would be a hassle to put it back together soon after I move into an apartment. Should I just box it up and put as much padding as possible?

Surely some of you must have done this before, any input would be appreciated.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I dont think you have to worry about your computer..

minor bumps will be fine.

btw... drive fast ;)

900miles is a long way to go.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I dont think you have to worry about your computer..

minor bumps will be fine.

btw... drive fast ;)

900miles is a long way to go.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Put it in the passenger seat or back seat and buckle it up. Pull the belt out as far as it can go, and it will ratchet down when you release it, so you can pull the belt tight and it will stay there. If you have a crt monitor, place it on it's face on a seat and buckle it up tight.

crawford

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
My computer survived the trip from CT to AZ under a bunch of crap, with a huge golden retriever in the car, yours should be fine.

edit: idoitic typo

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
If you place the case on it's side for the trip, make sure the mobo is on the bottom side. Don't want cards jiggling loose.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
You might want to remove the heat sink so the weight of it wont damage the socket...it can happen.

Just lay it down so that the HS isn't hanging...know what I mean?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Stick a couple of heavy duty blankets around it for padding before you put it on a seat.
Do not leave it on a hard surface.

All the other suggestions will add to a safe trip.

I have lugged systems around the country by car with no problems by using common sense.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I moved one of my computers about 3500 miles, and half of that over some really bad Mexican roads. I wouldn't fret too much about it, maybe put a blanket around it so you don't get any scratches on the case from things rubbing against it repeatedly.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
The parts get to you by plane and truck, so I doubt your car will hurt it much ;)

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: dartworth
You might want to remove the heat sink so the weight of it wont damage the socket...it can happen.

I would really like to avoid that hassle of removing it. But laying it down on the side is a very good idea, that way all the pressure will be equally distributed on the mobo/mobo tray of the case.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looking forward to a nice trip ;)

civad

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
I took my computer from IL to MD a couple of years ago.. no harm ocurred

so dont worry

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: dartworth

Yeah, I'd take the HS off if its a big heavy one.

Other than that, it should be fine unless you run into something like an 18-wheeler.