Moving - thus planned down time!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Friday morning, approx 04.30 am, we will start our relocation from Umeå (in Västerbotten, Northern Sweden) to karlskrona, in Blekinge, Southern Sweden. Please see attached map.

Umea-Karlskrona2.JPG

It is a distance of approx 1190 km (740 miles) and will result in a winter 3 months shorter, a wonderful spring, summer and autumn, better jobs for my wife and me. BTW: the way in the map is the fastest, not the shortest. The shortest way takes two hours longer. The drive is for me 13 hours, for the moving van approx. 26 hours.
I will have to take down the computers tomorrow or tuesday and thus crunching will be stopped. I do not know, when the computers will be up again ... it may take a couple of weeks to get organized, and the crunching farm is not the highest priority (the cats, the bedroom and the kitchen are ...). Please don't be diappointed about the drop in production (for the TeAm of a ppd of 300K - 500K) but when all is working again, I may have a now cruncher to add... ;).
I'll keep you posted now and then ... good to have a lappy, but don't expect much.

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Good luck with your move Peter! Three months shorter winter sounds good to me!! :)

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Best of luck on the move. Enjoy the South. Silly accents down there.
My first visit/stay was in Bjarnum just outside Hassleholm. Spent a few summers down there. Very nice area.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If you have large UPS; then the farm could be crunching along during the move. :p

Moving is no fun; but the excitement of a being in a new place makes up for it. :thumbsup:

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
Great! the longer hotter seasons sound great, gives you more time to refine the barbecue receipes :D

Good luck with the move!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for all your good wishes, TeAm mates!
On a side note: Are you a computer obscessed individual if your computer parts (hardware plus soft ware CDs/DVDs) take trice as many boxes as your clothes?
The computers themselves - lets not talk about that ...
And then the network at home ...
;)

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks for all your good wishes, TeAm mates!
On a side note: Are you a computer obscessed individual if your computer parts (hardware plus soft ware CDs/DVDs) take trice as many boxes as your clothes?
The computers themselves - lets not talk about that ...
And then the network at home ...
;)

Clothes make great packing material for electronics. :)

Seriously, towels and blankets insulate gadgets quite well.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
Clothes make great packing material for electronics. :)

Seriously, towels and blankets insulate gadgets quite well.

^^^ What zzuupp said. Fleece blankets make great monitor covers if you have to carry a ton in a car (especially if they're VESA-mounted on monitor stands).

StitchExperimen

Feb 14, 2012
Hi peter! (I got to see his picture) but not his wife. Sounds like a lot nicer place to live. I'm building another rig a i7 3770K plan to o/c to 3.6 or 3.7 and run hcc with a 7950 (can only afford a single no dual this time) so should get about 100,000+ ppd. Final parts should be here and up and running in less than a week. hcc has 100 days of work left. Hopefully the scientists will add more work.
Bruce G.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Yeah, it is a very nice place ... close to the Baltic sea (so close that in the 1980 a sovjet submarine tried to sail inte the harbour but got stranded ...) and the nature is just great ...

Fred there is one problem with wolramalpha ... the numbers are not very accurate; they are close but ...
The population in Karlskrona is approx 6000 people more and there are others than those famous people ... as a matter of fact this is prime naval city in Sweden a kind of combo of Annapolis and San Diego.
I checked Umeå ... until Friday my city of residence. There the error in population is even greater - they claim that the population in 2006 was 75 000, which is dead wrong: now the population is approx 117 000 and it was around 104 000 in 2006 ...
I only wonder where the numbers come from.