Moving sucks.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
There was a thread a few days back where someone was asking how much it'd cost for 2 guys to do 3 hours of work in the DC area, and some people were saying that $350 (which included the truck) was a ripoff.

Well I just spent $45 on a truck for 5 hours, and between myself, my father-in-law, and a friend of his (about my age or a few years older) we just moved an entire apartment worth of furniture in about 3 hours flat. The past two days I've been doing trips back and forth with the car full of small boxes, bags of clothes, baby toys, things like that. Today it was just:

3-seat couch
2-seat couch
6' solid wood wall unit (6Lx1Dx6H)
Queen sized bed/matt/boxspring
Desk
Shelf unit
Crib
Changing table
Dining table
Chairs
27" CRT TV
24" CRT TV
3 dressers
Recliner
Coffee table

Doesn't sound like much, but it's all hardwood that my father-in-law passed down to us when we got our first place, so it's HEAVY, and the staircase in this place is absolute hellishly narrow. Now I have to place it all, put it back together, and I'm absolutely dead tired.

Would it have been worth $350 for someone else to do it while I sat back and pounded a few beers? Absolutely. Too bad in a few years we'll be looking for somewhere bigger as the kids grow up and want their own rooms, and at that point I think I'll simply pay someone else to do the heavy work.

Edit:

Computer was the first thing setup BTW, cable services were up and running before we even walked through the door, I made sure of that. I've even re-wired all the wall jacks, replacing the old ones with nice new modular ones with telephone/network/coax plugs in each room.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
I just bought a new house, moving out of an apartment, yay! I decided I will never move myself again. My 18 yr old is in basic training USMC. I am hiring two guys and their truck for $75 an hour. I figure 3 hours to move 3 bedrooms and a garage.
2 full length couches
love seat
2 over stuffed chairs
2 queen size beds
4 desks
50" hdtv
3 27" tvs
1 21" crt

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i've learned that most of the boxes will never be opened in the new place. it'll just goto the attic or basement, and sit there.

so if i move again, i'm just dumping 90% of stuff that would fit in a box.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDI
i've learned that most of the boxes will never be opened in the new place. it'll just goto the attic or basement, and sit there.

so if i move again, i'm just dumping 90% of stuff that would fit in a box.

Well, I moved from Vermont to Victoria, which is about 3100miles or so, I brought my video card and three harddrives, sold the rest of my computer, and two suitcases of clothing. That was it. Now I have a 2-bedroom apartment full of crap, in just over a year.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'm moving from NYC to Detroit in 2 weeks.
The big stuff includes:
1x 50" plasma tv
1x full size mattress with euro bed frame
2x glass top desks
1x 2003 Suzuki GSXR 600
and bunch of boxes of little stuff.

Hoping to make it in two trips, one with my CLK the other with an explorer and a uhaul trailer

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I'm with you, it's worth the moving prices, especially if you have to move things up or down stairs.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: halik
I'm moving from NYC to Detroit in 2 weeks.
The big stuff includes:
1x 50" plasma tv
1x full size mattress with euro bed frame
2x glass top desks
1x 2003 GSXR 600
and bunch of boxes of little stuff.

Hoping to make it in two trips, one with my CLK the other with an explorer and a uhaul trailer

Good luck with that one, this was just across town a big, but it still took up all three of my days off this week, and next week I have to deal with cleaning the old place, getting the carpets cleaned, stuff like that.