Question Moving subnet from 192 to 10. Gateway

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
I'm moving my Orbi wireless network from a house with a 192. Gateway router to a house with a 10. Router (FiOS to Xfinity).

Can I just change my Orbi hub address to 10.0.0.2? It will run DHCP for the house, and I have all of my devices' MACs mapped and named in its device listing. Thanks

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Yes. If.

The "192" and "10" are apparently subnets within private address ranges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
While all 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.* are within those ranges, you probably do not have subnet 192.168.0.0/16 currently in use.
I bet you have prefix 24.

I don't know FiOS, but I presume that it has some subnet currently, has some IP address, and does have DHCP server.
* You have to disable that DHCP server, if you want to use DHCP server in another device.
* You have to use the same subnet (network address and prefix) as the FiOS has (if you can't reconfigure it)
* Your Orbi naturally has to have unique IP address within the subnet.

DHCP is awesome. You can get network configured on all your devices (except the FiOS) from one central point,
and you can change settings too. (Hence the "Dynamic" in "DHCP".)

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Couple steps before the switch

1. Make config backups

2. Make note of any important devices and their MAC > IP info.

I only set static dhcp reservations for devices that provide a service. Printers, server,y own workstation cuz it has a share. All that other stuff like tvs, thermostats, phones, etc....just DHCP is fine

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
I usually set statics on my infrastructure, like router, switch, Obi Hai Voip server, printers, etc.
All User devices use DHCP, usually Class C subnet on the 192, 172, or 10 network.
For most people who do not assign static, they should normally be able to switch from between 192, 172, 10 network from the wireless routers admin page where they set its IP address. DHCP seems to generally be tacked on to that subnet.