Question Moving Library folders in Windows 11 to Secondary Drive?

BikemanI7

Jan 18, 2021
Is Moving Folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, still recommened to do to limit writes on M.2 and SSD drives?

Currently after every clean install i make sure to Set the Location in Properties of each folder, and store them on my 4TB Storage drive. Purpose of that is to limit writes on the M.2 Drive, and keep it healthy for longer.

Been doing this since got my first SSD in 2016.

Thinking about maybe a clean install sometime soon, as i have 1 game that seems to crash after each round to just a black screen, sound continues, but can't do anything, til i end task and reload Battlefield 2042.

Windows 11 Pro x64 22621.1413

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No and it never was (reasonably) recommended. Any flash media with sufficiently modern wear leveling, and more than a small % free space, will take many years to exhaust the write cycles from mere things such as user generated files.

In fact, you might be at risk of instead wearing out the 4TB (HDD?) faster than the SSD ever would have. HDD have longer lifespans than they used to, but still being a mechanical device, they continue to wear more and more. I trust an SSD to keep working far more than a HDD.

What I would do for a different reason, is make the OS partition only contain OS, and applications that update themselves, then either a 2nd partition on same SSD (or a 2nd SSD) for high performance of static files, so you can do a whole partition image backup of the OS/apps partition more often at a smaller total size to the 4TB storage drive, and backup static files that don't change, much less often.

First thing to try for game crashes is a different video card driver version, and ask (or search/research) in a gaming forum where the particular game is popular. Maybe the game itself has a patch.

BikemanI7

Jan 18, 2021
Yeah i checked searched on the game issue, and tried some recommended fixes like repairing the game, Renaming or Deleting the Cache, and using System file checker-and still did it after round earlier

I've been doing the on 2 systems keeping the files like that

M.2 is just Samsung 970 evo Plus 500GB
Might have to purchase soon as i can another SSD to handle the user generated files as doubt they would fit on that drive.

No other M.2 slots on this motherboard, but i got 2 SSD mounts left in the case, and possibly another Sata power plug somewhere in there.

Unless i take one of my Western Digital 2TB External drives and just store the Music folder on that one that i typically use when i Dj in Secondlife with Virtual Dj program. Music Folder with all the CD-Rips, and Purchased Music over the years is like 232GB currently

And yes I've reinstalled the Video Driver...and will again once a newer version releases to see if fixes it or not, been same with previous video drivers

*Note NvMe M.2 is between CPU Cooler on Motherboard and Video card in top slot* Is Rear exhaust fan behind CPU cooler, and 3 Intake fans on my Thermaltake V200TG RGB Case*,

if i do keep my user generated files from like Documents, Pictures, Videos on the NvMe M.2 in the future after next clean install, hopefully it doesn't kill it sooner, as since shop upgraded CPU Cooler from LGA 1200 Stock to Arctic Freezer 7X, Getting to M.2 drive probably won't be too easy this time lol.

Yes i'm a Major noob and old school on various things in relation to Computers as well though

With Thought of someday upgrading to AIO cooler, that a whole other topic i'm extremely paranoid and nervous on if i ever go for my first one

M.2 Boot NvMe Crystaldiskinfo.png4TB Storage Drive CrystalDisk info.pngGame SSD Crystaldisk info.png

Last edited: