Moving in 3 months -- Self-Move companies

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I'm going to be moving from Georgia to Indiana around the middle of August and am looking at moving companies. I've discovered Self-Move / U-Load companies that sound pretty interesting. Basically, they provide a trailor, I load it up, they drive it and drop it off, I unload it. Interesting concept.

Since I'm not moving much, if any, furniture, this sounds like a good thing for me. I wouldn't be comfortable driving a U-Haul truck and towing my car. I have no experience driving a big truck, and towing the car behind it will make it that much harder. Why pay movers when I don't have that much stuff (my bedroom minus bed and desk and a some things in the kitchen and living room). I can enlist a couple friends to help out for the cost of beer and pizza at each end.

Anyone dealt with one of those self-move companies before? monstermoving.com (part of monster.com) lists a couple of companies, quote on one is about the same price as the smallest U-Haul truck w/ car tailer -- ~$650. That's with a company called DynamicMoves, and I'm waiting on a quote from ABF. I'm sure renting a cargo van from Hertz, et. al, would cost just as much, if they would even rent to someone under 25.

Experiences? Opinions?

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Most companies that rent trucks (Ryder, U-Haul, etc.) will rent people under 25. If you can find someone who is willing to help you move by driving either your car or the truck, I think you are much better off just renting a cargo van.

My roommate and I moved all of our things into a two bedroom apartment using just one 18 foot Ryder truck, for less than $160 (keep in mind that you'll be paying more for mileage, though. We only moved about 120 miles away). If you really don't have a lot of things, you should be able to fit it into a similar sized truck. They're intimidating at first, but they really aren't that difficult to drive.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I know that UHaul or Ryder will rent to under 25, but towing my car is my fear. And any money saved by having someone drive with me would be offset by having to buy a 1 way plane ticket to get the person to Georgia or from Indiana.

UHaul tells me $269 for just a 10' truck, tack on another $250 (at least, delta.com is showing almost $500!!!!) for a one way plane ticket. Add in cost of gas for the truck (650 miles, figure 10 mpg, $2/gallon -- another $130) and I'm at the cost of the trailor w/o inconviencing someone to make the trip with me. I'm not too worried about how long it takes the truck to get there since I can stay with my mom until it does.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
FYI, you only have to be 18 to rent a truck from U-Haul. That's not what you were asking about, but someone brought it up so I figured I'd chime in:)

Also, you may find that driving the truck is easier than you think. I was forced to drive a full size Ryder truck from New York city to Boston and I was fairly nervous about it, but once I drove for about 10 mins I was completely confident. You just have to get used to using the side mirrors, no rearview:)