Moving from small town to big ass city

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
A good friend of mine and his mom just moved from lawton oklahoma (where i'm at right now...) to san diego...in fact he left this morning. Lawton has about 100k people, jobs suck. I'm 18 btw...now, what i'm asking is, has anyone just moved on impulse before? I've been working at a local isp for about two years now, I don't think getting a job would be too rough... I have a place to stay for a while and a grunt job (machine shop) if i need it down there. Please let me know what your experiences have been with this...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
well, booty can mean several things, do you mean butts, pirate treasure, or what?

Preyhunter

Golden Member
Nov 9, 1999
Cost of living there is too stinking high. Go to Dallas if you want a technology job. It's much closer to where you are and much cheaper than living in SD.

integlspwr

Banned
Nov 28, 1999
well I would say don't be so closed minded when comming from a small town to a big city. You might get exposed to stuff that you weren't regularly exposed to in your small town. Other than that. Good luck.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
One thing to be prepared for is the major traffic. Also, people in bigger cities tend to be less level tempered, impatient and things move a whole lot faster. You'll see.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
A lot of small town folks that I've met have had really strange, and often outrageously romanticized visions of what it would be like to live in a city.

Then they get there, start paying $1200 for a 800 sq foot cockroach infested studio, get mugged, have to deal with traffic, etc. For those very reasons, there's a lot more people who move from "big ass cities" to places like where you live.

If you're talking about moving to San Diego in particular, in my own experience it seems to be a pretty laid back town with an average cost of living. There's definitly a lot of stuff to do there. Although I would probably call it a "medium sized city" rather than a "big ass city".

Anyways... Make sure you have a job arranged first before you move. That's just common sense. Also, never buy a house in a place that you've never lived in. Rent an apartment first, until you can find out what the good neighborhoods are.

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
Hey, now here's a topic I know something about...

I spent the first 17 years of my life in a small town in Kansas. A town of 2,300 people almost straight north of Lawton. To drive it was 5 hours to Kansas City and 5 hours to Denver. I'm talkin' middle of nowhere!

When I graduated high school at 17 I moved to Nashville, TN. Not a big A city, but it was compared to 2,300 people. I learned to like it. It was wierd learning to drive in traffic. I mean, we used to have to slow down for tractors and cows, but never just becuase of the sheer number of cars on the road.

Three years of Nashville and it was too small also, so I up and moved to Atlanta. Still, not the biggest city, but huge compared to 2,300 people. Atlanta suburbs is where I'm sitting at right now. 13 years after I left Small Town, USA.

I freakin' LOVE IT!

So, my advice to you...MOVE!

Some questions you may have:

1) Did you know anyone in the cities you moved to? Yes, 1 person each time.

2) Was it hard to move away from family? Yes, you'll get used to it. My closest family member still lives about 15 hours away by car. (Wife and kids excluded)

3) Was it hard to find a job? Yes, I was an uneducated hick. If you've got a job working with your local ISP, that should carry over well to a larger city.

4) Was it hard to find an apartment? Yes, with no credit and no previous renting history and all that other jazz they ask for when you rent an apartment, it was. I was only 17, too.

5) Would you move back to Small Town, USA? NO!

Of course, your milage may vary.

PH :D

Kitros

Golden Member
May 6, 2000
what part of san diego? I grew up there...20 years I spent in that place, and very fun indeed. I love it, and I'll return! I'll tell you what the place to go are, etc...;)

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
I just recently moved from a town of less then 50,000 to St Louis. I moved with no job, no place to stay but a bit of a savings account. The sister of a best friend lives here with her husband. They were able to get me a place to stay almost free for 5 days. Was able to get a Two Month lease on an apartment, (cost a fortune and found a job in about 2 weeks. Moving somewhere where you do not know anyone can be a little intimidating and very depressing. Now that I am settling in though, I really like it better then previous city. There is a lot more to do and always stuff going on. Granted, I have not been mugged yet..........

The biggest problem is the place to stay. If you have that and enough savings to live on for a while, you are all set. Especially now, jobs are just too available. You may not get the best job in the world right off, but you can get one that provides some income very easily.

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I recently moved from a town of about 7,000 to Washington DC. Now that was a HUGE jump for me. It's taken me awhile to adjust but I do like it in a lot of ways. Plenty to do and places to go but sometimes I think the tension and headache isn't worth it. But for now thats where I'm at so I'm going to make the best of it :)