Moving from sattellite to PC/Internet

Battledad

Dec 30, 2012
Switching from Satellite to PC/Internet. Let me explain what I am planning and then I'll ask for help on a particular item. Many thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations.

I've set up a PC with a 2 channel card; 500gb hdd; 6670 video card and two external hdd's for backup and movies. Wireless Logitech kb/mouse unit

My intent is to to Over the Air digital for local TV channels and then internet for Netflix and other content. I mounted a good quality external antenna which I've tested for reception and location. The outside antenna will feed into the house coax system so TV's in the various rooms can get signal.

I bought 4 Netgear MOCa units that I will use to route the internet to certain TV sets/pc's. I also have a wireless N network in place.

In the family room I will put the PC mentioned above into the TV (Panasonic 40" plasma about 7 years old with a single hdmi). I also have a Phillips SB currently hooked to the TV/Satellite because the TV speakers are anemic. The pc will have a MOCa box for internet.

Here's my question/issue: Do I run an hdmi from the pc to the TV and then use RCA to the SB or do I go from the PC to the SB and then to the TV via RCA? My goal is to use the PC running Win7 64bit and Media Center and perhaps XBMC so we can watch streaming internet content, movies from an external hdd or OTA local channels. I have not experimented yet. Looking for input on what to keep an eye on, the types of connection(s), hardware, etc.

Now open to questions and comments.

Sep 12, 2004
Use HDMI from the PC to the TV then connect the TV to the sound bar via RCA (or optical or digital coax, if available). You could also likely connect the sound bar to the audio output on the PC but with a sound bar there really isn't any advantage in doing that that I can think of.

btw, an additional option you will have, since you are running MoCA to the other TVs, is to use a Windows Media Center Extender on each of the other TVs. That would allow those TVs to access the HTPC and watch live or recorded programs from the HTPC itself. For an example of an extender, see the Ceton Echo.

Battledad

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the thought. I have a Roku and one of the new Vizio CoStars. I was planning on putting one on our bedroom TV (the Vizio with browser) and the other in a guest room. Assuming we use Netflix or the like we'll have streaming movies and some shows in addition to the OTA.