Moving Files From HD To HD...

Maezr

Jan 20, 2002
How accurate is it, when moving files from one HD to another?

I moved a large amount of Mp3s (almost 100 gigs) from one HD to another. Now I'm getting skips when they're playing in winamp, but they're never in the same place, and sometimes they're not there at all. I wouldn't think this would be that the files were corrupted, since they skips don't appear in the same spot, but it's rather annoying...

When moving large amounts of data, how safe is it, really? Do small errors sometimes occur? :eek:

Adrian Tung

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Theoretically there should be no errors unless you have a hardware defect or something similar to it.

Two things that you can check: make sure that the drive has DMA mode enabled, and try defragmenting the drive to see if it helps.

:)atwl

Rhombuss

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2000
It's probably not the file transfer that's causing your problems, might be the HDD. Like Adrian said, run a defrag session and a Scandisk afterwards. BTW, MP3's are funny like that - they're all encoded, so sometimes it's not necessarily the audio sequence that is fux0red, but the decoding sequence.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Try a different player to confirm, but if you are o/c'ing or have faulty HD or RAM then it is certainly more than possible for errors to creep in, I really hate the fact that M$ don't allow an error checking option when copying important files, it is SO easy for them to and sometimes I'd prefer half speed copying if it ensured there weren't any errors.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
the skipping you describe sometimes happens with VIA chipsets and creative's crappy SBLive! cards. you might wanna check if you have that combo. not sure if the SBAudigy suffers from this, but it is a p.o.s. anyway.

ebaycj

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Oh yeah, good diagnosis ebaycj... if it worked before I doubt his sblive decided to hate him and this new hard drive...

If the hard drive is slower, then you'll have problems...

Can you give us the specs of both hard drives?

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
paulsen-

i really don't know what you're talkin about. obvoiusly both drives are fast enough to deal with an .mp3's data rate, so thats not an issue.

if you were referring to speed differences making I/O not work correctly, you're wrong. when you copy from one HD to another, the copy goes at the speed of the slower drive. no errors of any kind should be introduced in the process. otherwise we'd see ppl being all paranoid because their old drive can only do 12mbyte/s and the new drives can do 40mbyte/s. give me a break.

ebaycj

paralazarguer

Banned
Jun 22, 2002
The first thing that you would want to do is to make sure that the files on the new hard drive are okay. Since the skips sometimes don't appear it's likely that the files are alright but that the hard drive is having trouble reading them. Make sure that the hard drive is using DMA and try another cable. If that's the only thing that's changed in your system I would suggest burning some of the files that you're having trouble listening to onto a cd. If you can then play the fils from the cd, the problem is with the hard drive reading them but the files are still intact.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) There isn't anything wrong with that Maezr, Maxtor make and made some of the best 5400rpm HDs out there. They are certainly very fast and reliable HDs in my experience, certainly more than fast enough to read and copy some MP3 files LOL. With all the talk of 7200rpm HDs many people forget that a good 5400rpm is better than a cheap 7200rpm, not only are good 5400rpm nearly as fast but they are always quieter and run cooler too!

Bovinicus

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
I bet a your good old friend Mr. Defragmenter could boost performance in this respect. I think that is the problem. The harddrive cannot possibl be holding it back unless the files are fragmented throughout the drive.