Movies you passionately hate, but lots of people love.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Let's get this hatefest started...

I wish I could strike these movies from existence.

Why can't people see how bad these 4 movies really are? Almost everyone loves them.
  • District 9
  • Snowpiercer
  • The Grey
  • Grandma's Boy

Some people actually like this Michael Bay junk.
  • Transformers 1, 2, 3, 4 (yes, the first one too)
  • The Rock
  • Pain & Gain

A few that really, REALLY disappointed me:
  • Swordfish
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Prometheus

Haven't seen the Fast/Furious and Resident Evil movies, but I'm pretty sure I would hate them.

Now argue with me because I'm WRONG!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i can think of two that i didn't like at all that people love, but wouldn't say i hate them.

donnie darko
the godfather

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

Sorry fanbois, Spartans were well known for pedophile boy sex at the agoge.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Sorry fanbois, Spartans were well known for pedophile boy sex at the agoge.

And that has what to do with the movie? lol
That was simply par for the course in Greece, and later, Rome.

The story's purpose was merely to tell a heroic story as graphic and visceral as possible.

If you want a really good read on the story (as historical fiction), Gates of Fire is a great book.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Oh, and I particularly enjoyed most of the movies in the OP. They provided what they set out to provide in their own way. Summer action flicks are just meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed.

And District 9 and Snowpiercer were quite enjoyable in their own way. On my list of best movies ever? Hell no. But I enjoyed them for sure. But while I am sort of film snobbish, I don't set out to be a critic; rather, I set out to escape and enjoy the time. A movie has to be really bad to kill the mood for me. And I can usually just tell through basic research which of those to avoid in the first place. I've been disappointed in various movies, but rarely appalled.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Basically EVERY Jim Carrey movie
Being John Malkovich
Memento
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
Paranormal Activity
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Some of those are so bad it makes me angry, like Paranormal Activity, and some are just "weird" movies which I passionately dislike

Last edited:
Reactions: CZroe

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Gone Girl
Okay I don't hate it. But I don't find it particularly amazing. Same with The Social Network.
I think people have too much of a crush on Fincher.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Basically EVERY Jim Carrey movie
Being John Malkovich
Memento
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
Paranormal Activity
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Some of those are so bad it makes me angry, like Paranormal Activity, and some are just "weird" movies which I passionately dislike

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Memento? You're nuts, those are great movies!

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Gone Girl
Okay I don't hate it. But I don't find it particularly amazing. Same with The Social Network.
I think people have told much of a crush on Fincher.

Gone Girl. I wanted to add that one. It was incredibly bad compared to the hype.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Never heard of any of those movies. Not really a TV person so I don't know much beyond the mid 90's.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Never heard of any of those movies. Not really a TV person so I don't know much beyond the mid 90's.

Never heard of Transformers movies? Prometheus (prequel to Alien)? Dark Knight Rises (the third Batman movie by Christopher Nolan)?

Camilla Petra

Banned
Mar 18, 2016

Why can't people see how bad these 4 movies really are? Almost everyone loves them.
  • District 9
  • Snowpiercer
  • The Grey
  • Grandma's Boy

Some people actually like this Michael Bay junk.
  • Transformers 1, 2, 3, 4 (yes, the first one too)
  • The Rock
  • Pain & Gain

• Swordfish
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Prometheus

Haven't seen the Fast/Furious and Resident Evil movies, but I'm pretty sure I would hate them.

Did you just mention The Grey?! My friend kept mentioning it so then I borrowed to watch. I doubt i even got to the twentieth minute. It's not worth the rating and reviews people give it. I wonder what they look at when they give reviews.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Haters gonna hate! I cant think of any movie I would waste time and energy in hating. There are a lot that I am mad I wasted my time with but I eould never go out of my way to talk about them.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010

• District 9
  • Snowpiercer
  • Prometheus
I agree with District 9 and Snowpiercer, not that I hate them, it's just that they get praised as being some kind of second coming of the Sci-Fi genre. Personally, I found them quite average. I feel the same way about Gravity, I couldn't even finish it, I felt absolutely nothing for the characters, so there was zero tension, and tension was supposed to be the entire foundation of the movie.

I will disagree about Prometheus, I love it, I really like it more each time I see it. It has flaws, but they are pretty small for me, and I think some people get very stuck on them, and it ruins the entire movie for them. Fair enough I guess, but I thought the characters were great, which ultimately drive the movie, the themes were solid, and the genre thrills worked well. I will add, that the nearly 4 hour making of documentary on the Blu-Ray is likely the most detailed and interesting piece I've ever seen on the making of a film.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I agree with District 9 and Snowpiercer, not that I hate them, it's just that they get praised as being some kind of second coming of the Sci-Fi genre. Personally, I found them quite average. I feel the same way about Gravity, I couldn't even finish it, I felt absolutely nothing for the characters, so there was zero tension, and tension was supposed to be the entire foundation of the movie.

I will disagree about Prometheus, I love it, I really like it more each time I see it. It has flaws, but they are pretty small for me, and I think some people get very stuck on them, and it ruins the entire movie for them. Fair enough I guess, but I thought the characters were great, which ultimately drive the movie, the themes were solid, and the genre thrills worked well. I will add, that the nearly 4 hour making of documentary on the Blu-Ray is likely the most detailed and interesting piece I've ever seen on the making of a film.

With that, I can agree on all points. Well, I haven't seen Gravity, but otherwise spot on.

I didn't find District 9 and Snowpiercer to be some kind of masters of the genre or anything at all, I just enjoyed them. At no point would I recommend them as top movies to watch, but I think I would include them on a lengthy enough list of sci-fi movies to watch, especially if restricted to recent years.

Prometheus, I enjoyed very much, but I think I see what the major issue was for many people: where it went with the Alien story line. It wasn't what people wanted. As it's own story and film, I really enjoyed it, but in the largest context of the story universe, I can see where it falls flat for many.