Movie to be in production for 12 years

Joyride

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
Read it here

I think its a very interesting idea.

Variety reports "Dazed and Confused" director Richard Linklater has enlisted Patria Arquette and Ethan Hawke to star in "Twelve Years," a film that will take twelve years to finish, making it the longest production on a film in history.

"I've long wanted to tell the story of a parent-child relationship that follows a boy from the first through the 12th grade and ends with him going off to college," Linklater said. "But the dilemma is that kids change so much that it is impossible to cover that much ground."

Linklater has cast 7-year-old named Eller Salmon as the child of the film. Hawke and Arquette will play his parents. Linklater will shoot the picture for a couple of week for the next twelve years.

Mark your calendars: The film will be released in 2015/2016.

What do you think?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
/sarcasm OMG I must go see it, I can't wait /end sarcasm for real what a horrible idea, if I wanted to see the story of a kid growing up, I would have kids...

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Im interested. I like movies like this. Of course it would be nice if there was a little sci fi in there somewhere.;)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Impressively dumb.

What's the difference with using one kid versus different kids that play the same character? Its just a movie... :Q

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Right, the movie wont gross 6x what a good flick made in 1-2 years (or less?) would. Therefore soembody is gonna be losing money (gotta pay the cast for 12 years, and I bet these people dont live cheap!), unless its a cheaply made movie with little sets/special effects etc

Zigaronious

May 13, 2002
this all seems kinda foolish to me. i don't really understand what actor would agree to doing this. and what's going to stop them from retiring 10 years into the movie and than it was all for not. i just think this is a dumb idea.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: erub
Right, the movie wont gross 6x what a good flick made in 1-2 years (or less?) would. Therefore soembody is gonna be losing money (gotta pay the cast for 12 years, and I bet these people dont live cheap!), unless its a cheaply made movie with little sets/special effects etc

I'm sure they aren't paying the cast for 12 years. People aren't that stupid. They are only filming a couple of weeks for 12 years. I'm sure the actors and the rest of the crew are free to do other work around it.

and what's going to stop them from retiring 10 years into the movie and than it was all for not
A contract?
rolleye.gif

I think it's definitely an interesting idea and will be curious to see the finished project.