Movie theatres should have assigned seating...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: brigden

A movie is not a one-off event. It usually plays several times a day for several weeks, if not months. If you don't want to sit in a crappy seat, arrive a few minutes before the movie starts. End of discussion.

Plays have assigned seating. There's no reason not to have assigned seating in movie theaters other than that people don't like change. The theater wouldn't have trouble selling tickets close to showtime, if you get to a popular movie late you KNOW you're going to get a bad seat.

Plays are usually not an impulsive decision. Planning is typically involved.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
So can't really have assigned seating unless there are different price tier seating.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Never in my twenty-plus years of going to the movies have I ever once encountered "pushing and shoving."

Assigned seating will make it impossible for theatres to sell tickets to people who arrive at the last minute.

The only people who could get a good seat are the people ordering tickets early online.....

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Kyteland
Never in my twenty-plus years of going to the movies have I ever once encountered "pushing and shoving."

Assigned seating will make it impossible for theatres to sell tickets to people who arrive at the last minute.

The only people who could get a good seat are the people ordering tickets early online.....

Bullsh!t. If I want to see a popular movie opening weekend I arrive at the theatre about 45 minutes early. If a line is involved then we will wait in that line, if not, we leave and come back.

Only once have I ever had to endure sh!tty seats and that was to see SW:Ep.2 opening day. We got there late and got crappy seats. Served us right.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: CVSiN
fvcuk that I dont want to sit anywhere but the middle anyway.. there is no way im gonna go to a theatre that has assigned seating so i get stuck pressed in the first 5 rows looking straihgt up at the screen..
get there late expect a crappy seat end of story....

What's the difference?

You still have to get there the same time. In fact, it's actually better b/c you can show up an hour early, reserve the seats you want, and then go do your own thing for an hour instead of lurking around the theater so that you can be right there when the doors open so that no one snarfs your seat. You can get up during the previews for one last potty break and not have to leave a personal article in the hopes that no one takes your spot. PLUS, if there are no good seats available, you can reserve seats for the next available showing and come back at your leisure to find your seats ready waiting without having to come back and waste ANOTHER hour waiting like a vulture.

The earlybird still gets the worm with none of the waiting, muss or fuss. It boggles my mind that anyone could possibly be against this.

Agreed.

Airlines do it. With most major airlines I pick what seat I want. First come first serve...assuming some booking agency doesn't have a block specially reserved for their customers.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Also, more time you spend in the building means more time for you to purchase concessions.;)

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

A movie is not a one-off event. It usually plays several times a day for several weeks, if not months. If you don't want to sit in a crappy seat, arrive a few minutes before the movie starts. End of discussion.

Plays have assigned seating. There's no reason not to have assigned seating in movie theaters other than that people don't like change. The theater wouldn't have trouble selling tickets close to showtime, if you get to a popular movie late you KNOW you're going to get a bad seat.

Plays are usually not an impulsive decision. Planning is typically involved.
Play are also short run events, which may sell out before you get a change to "change your mind" like in a theater. In a theater there a literaly hundreds of showings, miss one, catch the next, or on another day/week. Can't do as easy with a play.

Plus there is different prices for seats in plays and sporting events.

Are there different pricing set at these other theaters with assigned seating?

Anyone ever been to a Movie Tavern? They sell alcohol/pizzas and serve you during the movie. I highly recommend it. :D

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052
Also, more time you spend in the building means more time for you to purchase concessions.;)
Winnar.

They make more off of concessions than the ticket price. Assigned seating=less concessions at the cost of potential sales. Even if they make a lot more ticket sales (lower profit margin) they will lose at the concession stand.

/thread

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I don't know where you barbarians go see movies at but I've never had to put up with pushing and shoving...

1. it's called big cities or cities with huge multiplexes and unfortunately, LEGIONS OF TEENAGERS.
2. seeing movies opening weekend that are popular = huge crowd.
3. people who have lives and can't go see movies at 3pm on wednesday. i can only see movies on weekends. maybe at night.

mostly it's dealing with the nuts that must sit in the middle of the theater, middle of the row, opening weekend, and then the legions of teenagers where one person will save an ENTIRE ROW for their friends that are scattered at the snack bar or restroom and sending in this one sacrificial lamb to fight off the fiends.

i haven't gone to see a movie on opening weekend in ages however. :( when i lived in westwood with the huge theaters, i never went to a showing that was sold out. they would only sell out the really big movies, but the rest of the time i had an easy time finding seats, especially at the village where i can go sit in the balcony.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I wouldn't mind if some theatres had assigned seating. It would be nice to stand in line to get a ticket with a seat of my choice then be able to tool around in the mall for an hour or whatever. No reason for me to stand in line waiting to be allowed inside the actual theater room so I can find a good seat.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
Originally posted by: K1052
Winnar.

They make more off of concessions than the ticket price. Assigned seating=less concessions at the cost of potential sales. Even if they make a lot more ticket sales (lower profit margin) they will lose at the concession stand.

/thread

I also think that assigned seating would only serve to send customers to your nearby competitors that might otherwise not significantly affect your business.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
There are no substantial benefits to the theatre operators for them to implement it.

I disagree. I imagine a kiosk of some kind could be setup where a patron would walk up to a touch screen, press an icon with an image of the movie they want to see and be presented with a floor layout. They select the seats they want from the diagram and the tickets are printed out after payment is rendered. This eliminates the ticketing folks and could possibly reduce costs for the theater. Tracking of seats and data could be maintained much better. It's still first come, first served, however, now people actually have a choice. Besides, the whole, "They won't pay if they don't get what they want..." is a load of BS anyway. I've seen plenty of times where people come in, see that the only seats are the very front row and walk back out, talk to a manager and get a ticket for another time or get a refund.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Some of them do. There's a theater by my house with a special "director's hall" (leather seats, much better sound system) that has assigned seating. Course, its also $14 a ticket. I've seen a few movies there and it was pretty good. Spiderman was definitely worth the extra money.

Are you talking about The Arclight or The Bridge?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Rogue

I disagree. I imagine a kiosk of some kind could be setup where a patron would walk up to a touch screen, press an icon with an image of the movie they want to see and be presented with a floor layout. They select the seats they want from the diagram and the tickets are printed out after payment is rendered. This eliminates the ticketing folks and could possibly reduce costs for the theater. Tracking of seats and data could be maintained much better. It's still first come, first served, however, now people actually have a choice. Besides, the whole, "They won't pay if they don't get what they want..." is a load of BS anyway. I've seen plenty of times where people come in, see that the only seats are the very front row and walk back out, talk to a manager and get a ticket for another time or get a refund.

Some chains are trying automated ticketing for the current general admission model. You do have to consider a couple of things:

1. The systems cost money to develop and install
2. Many customers perfer dealing with live people. I see this all the time even when the automatic ticket machines are open with no lines.

Tracking what seats sell best is not valuable information because anyone who has been inside a theater twice in the last hundred years can tell you that.

I have personally seen shows sell down to less than 10 seats remaining many times with the current system. I fail to see how assigned seating can improve on that.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
the theaters are usually half full after the new releases. why do you need to assign seat to a half full theater? doesn't make sense at all.

we have assigned seat in hk too, they also make sure you can't do movie hopping.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Some of them do. There's a theater by my house with a special "director's hall" (leather seats, much better sound system) that has assigned seating. Course, its also $14 a ticket. I've seen a few movies there and it was pretty good. Spiderman was definitely worth the extra money.

I prefer Arclight to The Bridge.

-geoff

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Tomato

Are you talking about The Arclight or The Bridge?

He's must be talking about The Bridge. Arclight's special theatre is the Cinerama Dome and The Bridge's is the Director's Hall.

Assigned seats would suck in certain situations. Say you're meeting people at the movie, but they arrive after you. Someone already bought the seats you would "save" for them.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: SampSon
Assigned seats would suck in certain situations. Say you're meeting people at the movie, but they arrive after you. Someone already bought the seats you would "save" for them.

IF you know they are showing up then you buy there tickets with assigned seats and you don't have to worry about saving any seats.

Originally posted by: Codewiz

IF you know they are showing up then you buy there tickets with assigned seats and you don't have to worry about saving any seats.
Not a good enough solution.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Codewiz

Not a good enough solution.

Care to explain why not? If the show is close to being sold out, you are going to buy all their tickets and have someone wait out front with them while somebody else goes to try and reserve seats.

The difference is that if there were assigned seats, you wouldn't have to be that jerk that is trying to singlehandedly prevent people from sitting in the 6 seats you're trying to save.

If you have the kind of friends that routinely say "I'll meet you at the theater" and then never show up, I'd say the problem is yours, not the theater's.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
this will never happen. movies sell out right now as is on opening weekend. at the theatre I go to (hoffman AMC, old town alexandria, va), i usually have to get there about an hour early to even BUY tickets. that place is packed. it is also a great theatre. i always am in the actual theatre where the movie will be shown, in my seat, about 30 minutes before the show starts. this way i am GUARANTEED my seat. my gf will wait there and i'll go buy some food and by the time i get back, movie starts in 10 mins. i see movies probably 3-4 times a month, and typically on opening night.

there is just absolutely NO INCENTIVE for businesses to do this. as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it. movies sell out hours in advance, and where i see movies, they are ALWAYS sold out the opening weekend, even weekends after (i remember seeing last samurai sold out a month after it opened). they make there money just fine the way it is.

and as some other people say, i have never dealt with 'pushing and shoving' ... and where i live, its pretty damn crowded (DC Metro area).

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001

I disagree. There have been many times when I have skipped the concession stand because I didn't want to leave the line to get into the theater. At best, for a crowded showing, we herd into the theater to try and grab decent seats and then send one poor person back to grab concessions for everyone. But more often than not we just opt out of the concessions rather than trying to save seats.