Movie theater patron files lawsuit over Colorado shooting

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Article:

http://www.examiner.com/article/jam...ed-man-blames-theater-doctors-and-warner-bros

Summary:

A patron in the theater who was not injured but whose friend sitting next to him was killed is suing 1) the theater, 2) the shooter's physicians, and 3) Warner Brothers, for emotional distress.

I'll make a few comments about the legalities here. There are many issues and sub-issues raised by this lawsuit.

First of all, the general rule (in most states) is that someone not physically hurt can sue for emotional distress if that person was in the "zone of danger" in which another person was hurt or killed. Had he witnessed the killing of his friend from a safe distance, he wouldn't have a claim. Because he was in the zone of danger himself, he may have a claim. Some states impose liability where the plaintiff witnessed from a safe distance, but only when the person hurt or killed was a member of the plaintiff's immediate family.

This patron was undoubtedly emotionally distressed. However, this lawsuit seems pretty frivolous, particularly as against the physicians and Warner Brothers.

Holmes doctors have no legal duty to protect third parties unless they knew he was going to commit mass murder. That one should be thrown out early.

The accusation against Warner Brothers is that the violence in the movie caused Holmes to do what he did, or in the alternative, that the gunfire in the movie acted as a cover for what he did and caused the patrons to react more slowly than they otherwise would have, causing more deaths. Both theories are absurd. The First Amendment protects the content of the film. Furthermore, any causal relationship between the content of the movie and Holmes' conduct is speculative at best, particularly since Holmes could only have guessed as to its contents (other than having seen bits of it in a trailer.)

The suit against the theater is the most plausible as the theater at least has some duty to protect the safety of its patrons while on their premises. However, I'm not sure what they could have done differently here. If they have to use metal detectors at the door, then so too does every other business. Back in the day, theaters used to employ ushers. Such an employee might have noticed the propped open exit door and closed it before Holmes returned. But theaters don't use ushers any more because it raises the ticket price.

- wolf

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
the only thing i can see the theatre on the hook for is an "unsecured environment" or some sort because he was able to somehow leave and come back in through an auxiliary door

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I don't see the big deal with suing the theater company. It's no different than if you got hurt tripping over a carpet or falling down some stairs. They have insurance for exactly the purpose of covering people getting hurt on the property.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Not having someone to ensure the exit door remained closed is a legitimate negligence.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Lawsuits for "emotional distress" are complete and utter horseshit.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
As frivolous as it is at least he hasn't went after Remington, S&W or Glock...yet

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Not having someone to ensure the exit door remained closed is a legitimate negligence.

if they had that automatic spring thing at the top i could see that being not negligence. what at every exit we have to hire a snot nosed highschool kid to stand there and make sure it's closed? riiiiight. not feasible

Sep 7, 2009

WTF no, it isn't.

These are the side doors you normally use to leave a theater. Every theater has them, what do you expect - armed guards at each door? They lock from the outside, they functioned correctly, I don't know what else you can expect from them.

I weep for our society at times, and the reaction to this event is certainly one of them.... I call it 9/11 syndrome.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
if they had that automatic spring thing at the top i could see that being not negligence. what at every exit we have to hire a snot nosed highschool kid to stand there and make sure it's closed? riiiiight. not feasible

They can be electronically monitored where a single security guard or other employee may check doors that remain open. They had ~15-30 minutes to discover and close it. They did neither.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
They can be electronically monitored where a single security guard or other employee may check doors that remain open. They had ~15-30 minutes to discover and close it. They did neither.

They had about 10 minutes to spot it is what I read. That's pretty much the best theory in the lawsuit and I think it's iffy.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009

^This. At least have an electronic sensor or alarm go off if the door is opened. Other than that, the only one responsible for this pussy's distress is the killer. WTF is wrong with lawyers that they take this shit on? They should be disbarred. The amount of frivolous lawsuits in this country is ridiculous. The shooter is responsible for killing all those people and all the distress he caused--but this pussy and the lawyer(s) representing him can't get a reasonable amount money out of him, now can they?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Plaintiff should sue his/her parents for giving him life. After all, life is 100% fatal, he has a death sentence hanging over him that he cannot escape.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
^This. At least have an electronic sensor or alarm go off if the door is opened. Other than that, the only one responsible for this pussy's distress is the killer. WTF is wrong with lawyers that they take this shit on? They should be disbarred. The amount of frivolous lawsuits in this country is ridiculous. The shooter is responsible for killing all those people and all the distress he caused--but this pussy and the lawyer(s) representing him can't get a reasonable amount money out of him, now can they?

You are both idiots. Nothing was wrong with the doors. The theater did nothing wrong. Hurray for both of you for perpetuating a culture of paranoia.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You expect them to post a employee at every exit door?

Fire Marshall has checked doors at the theatres - why not sue them also.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
You are both idiots. Nothing was wrong with the doors. The theater did nothing wrong. Hurray for both of you for perpetuating a culture of paranoia.

So it isn't standard practice to have a fire or emergency door set off an alarm of some sort. If that is true, then I stand corrected. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough, but in either case, the movie theater should not be held responsible for the shooter's actions.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Pretty sure you could figure out I was talking about the aforementioned gun manufacturers.

Doh
homer-doh.png
In my defense your post by itself lacks that context. I was simply too eager to make a play on it with that juicy quote.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Yes, it would be a huge stretch, they didn't make their weapons with this intent. Holmes mind came up with this use of them.

Guns themselves were created with the intent of killing people. The purpose of your standard handgun is that of killing a person. My intent however was to point out that adding the gun manufacturer to the lawsuit wouldn't be such a stretch considering they've already put Warner Bros on the lawsuit and that's an even bigger stretch.

And adding a gun manufacturer to the lawsuit would only make sense if the gun killed due to malfunction, if it was marketed to the mentally unstable, if it was designed in a such a way as to encourage its use in a mass murder, or ... maybe it sends out a subconscious pulse telling you to murder or something silly (the lawsuit is already absurd, why not go one more step).