Movie Review: Before the Devil Knows You're Gone

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Ok, I don't really see a movie based upon reviews, but when it's a toss up between "No country for Old Men" and this one, I just know the Cohen Bros movie is going to be really violent (see Fargo and Blood Simple). Also, Ebert gave it very high marks and I was going to see it on a date.

Well...my advice...if you are going to see it...don't come late to the movie. Yeah, in the first five minutes you get to see a mostly naked Phillup Semore Hoffman (uh, no) and a naked Marisa Tomei going at in bed. Well, it could be her, you cannot really tell but the post coitus scene, it is definitely her. And in the movie I think her screen time is mostly naked.

Now, while Marisa is a year older than me and looks awesome! (I'd play bongos on those sweet cheecks any day.) I felt her nudity was more of distraction. The movie is about two brothers making a decision to rob a jewlery store and the horrible aftermath. Yeah, once something goes bad, really bad, the movie shows how people get deeper into crap thinking they can fix it. Sidney Lumet is a great director and showcases movies where peoples words are just as important as their actions.

But in this movie, I was left with a 'meh.' Sure there were some tense moments and great scenes (including naked Tomei) but in all, yes it was a good movie but my date and I felt like "huh, I guess we'll watch 'No Country..' this weekend."

Yes, go see it. I can recommend it and it is a great drama, but the set up and the review had me expecting something it wasn't and when that happens, I guess anybody can feel let down.

PS - Marisa, call me.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
Yeah, in the first five minutes you get to see a mostly naked Phillup Semore Hoffman (uh, no) and a naked Marisa Tomei going at in bed. Well, it could be her, you cannot really tell but the post coitus scene, it is definitely her.

I think I just vomitted in my mouth.