Moved components to new case = BSOD

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
it's a 0007b message, prior to the new case the PC was working flawlessly. Now it BSOD's and it even BSOD's when I try to go into safe mode. I'm going to be going back tonight to try and fix it, but I'm sort of stumped here. It's Windows 7, and it says it needs to repair, but after it does it's thing there it still isn't working. It was working for maybe an hour this morning, then it started freezing up and rebooting. The on crash is set to automatically reboot.

One thing I'm thinking it maybe could be is the SSD is plugged into a different SATA controller. I noticed looking at screen shots of the BIOS it has 2 totally different SATA chips. I'm not sure if this could be causing the problem, but I can't come up with anything else.

Any ideas here?

Thanks

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Sounds silly, but... did you try some different SATA cables? I had sort of the same problem last week, I swapped ports and it didn't help... I swapped cables and it's back to normal.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Sounds silly, but... did you try some different SATA cables? I had sort of the same problem last week, I swapped ports and it didn't help... I swapped cables and it's back to normal.

I haven't tried anything, it was working when I left. At least I thought it was, I'm semi rusty on PC's since I don't work on them like I use to. So I was asking for ideas so I could possibly have some more of them for when I go back tonight. It's about 100 miles from me, so I'm trying to not have to go back another time after.

I'm definitely going to try swapping SATA cables, and SATA ports, I'm just wondering what else it might be. Nothing comes to me off the top, but I sometimes forget basic sh*t from my time away from PCs.

Thanks for your reply, even though I would have tried that regardless I like the helpfulness.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2013
What mode is the SATA port running on for old PC and new PC? (e.g.: AHCI). Does it still blue screen when you move the components back to old PC?

Perhaps more information such as make and model may help?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
What mode is the SATA port running on for old PC and new PC? (e.g.: AHCI). Does it still blue screen when you move the components back to old PC?

Perhaps more information such as make and model may help?

The PC's the same components, all I did was xfer the stuff to a new case. I didn't reset or touch the BIOS, it should be AHCI mode. I will check that though good thing to point out. The only thing that might have changed is the HD being hooked to a different SATA port. I've never had this issue, but like I said I'm wondering if it being on a port that uses a different SATA controller could make this happen. Maybe not, but it's really all I can come up with at the moment.

Components are ASRock z77 MB, Samsung SSD, WD 2TB HD, Samsung DDR3 2x4GB

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Plugging the system drive into a SATA port supported by a different chipset than the one Windows was installed under could definitely cause this type of problem as each chipset has a separate driver. Ideally, you'd want the system drive (which I'm assuming is the SSD) plugged in to the Intel chipset at SATA port 0 for max performance.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Definitely make sure the same ports are used before and after the move, especially when dealing with multiple hard drive controllers. If you get into Windows, check device manager and make sure you don't have any question marks.

I would go ahead and check the BIOS. Make sure the settings are where they were before. Make sure the date and time is correct.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
The thing that sucks is Windows is saying the registry is corrupted, I hope the back up ones are good. Not sure what data was damaged. If it's the controller, I definitely learned something from this.