Move files to a pc, then to another, then to another!

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
Working on my daughters 8 year old laptop. It has a celeron cpu and 2 gig memory and 5oo gig hd.
The problem is the laptop freezes when doing windows update downloads. (unit was not used sinse April 2016 and then back to Jan 2016.) The updates are so backed up the pc can't handle them and freezes.
I want to take the unit back to day one. (restore) Once daughter finds and gives me the restore disks I made for the unit I can restore the unit.
The problem is,,, there is software on the unit she wants to keep. (MS Word)
I want to transfer that software to my laptop or another pc then restore the old laptop and then, move MS Word back to the original pc.
Can I do that?
I already have copiy of MS word on my laptop and desktop. Would that be a problem having 2 copies on one unit?
Ideally I would like to transfer ms word to a dvd them reinstall.
Or,,, transfer ms word to a spare hd I have then back to the laptop when fixed.
Once the old laptop is fixed it will be used only for writing papers and other things for middle school and high school students.
Any and all suggestions are needed.
Oh,, free is great. But,,, I have no problem paying for a tested and reliable transfer software.
Thanks
Pghpooh

Feb 25, 2011
No. It doesn't really work that way. You can't (effectively speaking) transfer Word from one computer to another.

Once you wipe the laptop, you can reinstall Word using whatever install media it came with. If you bought it online, you should be able to download the installer again.

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
Thanks for the info that pointed me in what I hope is the right direction. From what I have found, to move word to another pc you first have to delete the current version from the pc using the remove delete. Open the control panel, then programs, then word. Delete word and all associated software such as excel, etc. Supposidly when you do that the license is "free" to be used again. After deleting use the original media you used to reinstall word on a new pc. ....
Gotta get the recovery disks for the unit then I'll give it a try.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Supposidly when you do that the license is "free" to be used again. After deleting use the original media you used to reinstall word on a new pc. ....

No, I don't think that's how it works either. Although, maybe retail license Word works that way, I've never tried that.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
How did her computer have Word? If it came that way from the factory, it should be on the restore disks. Like Dave said, if it was bought separately, she should have the email or disk for it. Either way, you shouldn't have to give up yours.

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
I installed Word on her pc a few years ago. I bought it as a retail that if I remember had the ability to install it on 4 machines.
I have to dig out the installation disk and check how many times I have left to install. I know I installed it on 3 machines back then.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
You should be good then. Most likely it will recognize that is it on one of the original 3, and you might still have an extra.

*However, I will say that 4 is an odd number for this. It is 3 most likely. But you are good either way.

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
i had to uninstall office 2007 on my desktop, then i could reinstall as microsoft kept track of the installs and how many copies were were in use at the same time. at least, that was my take on it as i had to call MS to active the new install.

my copy of office (2007 student edition) allowed 2 copies of office to run at the same time, officially a desktop and a notebook.

Last edited: