Mouse with onboard memory?

joanne firus

May 16, 2012
Hey all.

I need a mouse with atleast 3 regular buttons + scroll wheel + 2 additional buttons....WITH onboard memory

I'm NOT a gamer; but I need the two additional buttons in order to program key combinations for Alias Automotive, so I can access the marking menus (Shift+Ctrl) and the viewport navigation (Shift+Alt) without having to use the keyboard.

My current mouse is a wired Evoluent VerticalMouse 4; and I love it to bits.
It *almost* fits the bill; but the lack of onboard memory means that I cannot use the extra buttons in computers at uni (where I do most of my designing)
I use it the 'MD' DPI setting; which I think is around the 2000 mark (but don't quote me on that).

I'm not sure if onboard memory is what I think it is (saves macros into the device, so they can be used anywhere without having to install the drivers and reprogramming the device for every new computer).
I have a Belkin n52te at home, which I use for macros in Rhino; but since the drivers for it are installed on my home computers, I'm not sure if the onboard memory thing actually works (CBF with taking it to uni...my bag's pretty bloated and heavy as is!)

What would you recommend?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I believe the mice need the drivers in order to do the macro switching otherwise windows doesn't know what the macro button is on the mouse and doesn't register it.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I think it might depend on the mouse. The software is probably the more common part, but then my G500 mouse I have remembered the command for one key (used for activiating voice transmition in games) when I re-installed windows.

But, it did forget I disabled a button (faulty) so I had to re-install the software and set it all up again.

joanne firus

May 16, 2012
Just get an MMO or RTS mouse, like the Razer Naga.

A Naga Hex was the first thing I thought of as well, but I'm hearing conflicting reports on whether it has onboard memory or not.

But I think a Lachesis may be more appropriate.

Or maybe a Logitech G600.

Also, anyone know if the Steelseries stuff have onboard memory? Or the Mad Catz Cyborg RAT?

joanne firus

May 16, 2012
I believe the mice need the drivers in order to do the macro switching otherwise windows doesn't know what the macro button is on the mouse and doesn't register it.

I understand that you're trying to help, and I appreciate that; but please don't go about spreading misinformation like this.

I got to try out my n52te on a computer without any Belkin/Razer drivers, and all the macros work just fine. I imagine a mouse with onboard memory would be able to function like this as well.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
OK, it looks like if the mouse has onboard memory it says it in the specs. The Naga doesnt look like it. The SteelSeries mice seem to spell it out, as a major selling point seems to be they are good for LAN tourneys.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I understand that you're trying to help, and I appreciate that; but please don't go about spreading misinformation like this.

I got to try out my n52te on a computer without any Belkin/Razer drivers, and all the macros work just fine. I imagine a mouse with onboard memory would be able to function like this as well.

Misinformation? I said I believe...never posted as pure fact. Don't think you're so special.

Last edited:

joanne firus

May 16, 2012
Misinformation? I said I believe...never posted as pure fact. Don't think you're so special.

So...not a single useful post, PLUS an attitude?

Welcome to my ignore list, troll.

OK, it looks like if the mouse has onboard memory it says it in the specs. The Naga doesnt look like it. The SteelSeries mice seem to spell it out, as a major selling point seems to be they are good for LAN tourneys.

I think most of the Logitech gaming mice have onboard memory as well.

So I'm thinking of getting either a Steelseries Cataclysm, or a Logitech G600.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
If you do have the Belkin N52 Tournament Edition, that should have onboard memory that should store your macros, although I could understand wanting to carry around something smaller.

whats your budget?

Anything from Logitech G500 and up should work. The G600 has tons of buttons, and the G700 has lots of buttons (although not as many) plus it can be wireless.

On Razer's side I'm not so sure. They used to have memory on their higher end mice but they've since tried to move to a cloud storage system, the advantage is that you could then call up your and change settings from any computer, the disadvantage being you have to install Razer software, which to me just smells like a scheme for Razer to get their claws into as many systems as possible.

Steelseries does have memory on their higher mice, however my experience trying to use their software with my Xai was a complete nightmare

From what you've described I'd say the G700 is probably your best bet if its in your price range, it has lots of buttons but not necessarily too many, and also has the advantage of being wireless if you so choose.

joanne firus

May 16, 2012
If you do have the Belkin N52 Tournament Edition, that should have onboard memory that should store your macros, although I could understand wanting to carry around something smaller.

whats your budget?

Anything from Logitech G500 and up should work. The G600 has tons of buttons, and the G700 has lots of buttons (although not as many) plus it can be wireless.

On Razer's side I'm not so sure. They used to have memory on their higher end mice but they've since tried to move to a cloud storage system, the advantage is that you could then call up your and change settings from any computer, the disadvantage being you have to install Razer software, which to me just smells like a scheme for Razer to get their claws into as many systems as possible.

Steelseries does have memory on their higher mice, however my experience trying to use their software with my Xai was a complete nightmare

From what you've described I'd say the G700 is probably your best bet if its in your price range, it has lots of buttons but not necessarily too many, and also has the advantage of being wireless if you so choose.

Thanks for the bit on the Steelseries mice. What exactly was so bad about their software?

And I'd rather not go for something wireless. Not a fan of spending fortunes on batteries, and I'm a forgetful person so I may forget to charge it up when not in use.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Thanks for the bit on the Steelseries mice. What exactly was so bad about their software?

And I'd rather not go for something wireless. Not a fan of spending fortunes on batteries, and I'm a forgetful person so I may forget to charge it up when not in use.

My experience with Steelseries macros were that its capabilities were extremely limited and vastly underperformed, on top of that the software would crash all the time if you didn't cross all the t's and dot all the i's, basically a complete pain in the butt. Things might have improved with the Sensei, but I can't comment on it, nor would I have faith that things have changed just based on history. When it come to macros Logitech has always been well ahead of others, with Razer catching up and Steelseries miles behind.

as far as wireless goes, the G700 doesn't have to be operated as such, you can plug it in and operate it as a wired mouse, and is capable of recharging its battery when plugged in as a wired mouse.

joanne firus

May 16, 2012
as far as wireless goes, the G700 doesn't have to be operated as such, you can plug it in and operate it as a wired mouse, and is capable of recharging its battery when plugged in as a wired mouse.

Alright, I'm sold.

Just bought a G700 from eBay for ~US$82. Now to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive. :(

Rbalderk

Mar 14, 2021
Hello,

It's old post but people still read it so i will add my experiences to the topic. I bought an Roccat Tyon mouse and wasn't aware that it has EEPROM inside. That was nice surprise when i realized that all the settings that I've done in windows are working in Linux as well. This is so important because config programs usually don't work in Linux, only in Windows. Now all the buttons are realizing the same functions that I've assigned whenever i connect the mouse which is awesome to me.

Cheers.