Mouse pads

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Not the biggest part of a gamer's setup but having a good mouse pad/mat couldn't hurt. Was just googling around and came across These FUNC mouse pads - Read they were pretty good. Was thinking about getting this one.

Anyone have these so called 'pro gamer' mouse pads? My mouse pad is old and never seemed to get along with my mouse (Logitech G5) too much, plus it's loaded with weird chemicals for some reason, it really stank when I first got it. Just looking for any recommendations. Lots of other 'gaming' mouse mats out their.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I have them and like it, I don't think they make me play any better though.

I like them for the bigger surface and their look though.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
I used to use them when I had a mouse with a ball for smoother glides. Now a days you don't really need them.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I don't know, my mouse pad is a tiny bit hairy/fuzzy and my laser mouse doesn't like any kind of hair/dust/fuzz getting in the way.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I use a steelpad. The one that actually is made out of steel, unlike most of their misleading product line. Its allright, never wears out, never slides its a bit cold though. Suppose its better than the cloth things where the corners start to come off after a while, pretty good stuff.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I haven't used a mousepad in a really long time. I forget they exist unil you visit a school or a library.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
you all can make fun of them, but there are several reasons to buy a more expensive pad that have more to do with maintaining reliable performance rather than improving it...

many pads are made from hard materials (ie not cloth) and thus are far easier to keep clean, hold up better to wear and tear, can have different surface friction for desired and consistent effect, can actually offer better performance for some of the newer mice that can be finicky on certain surfaces (affecting pixel skipping, undesired acceleration, liftoff distance - all measurable effects)...etc, etc...

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
you all can make fun of them, but there are several reasons to buy a more expensive pad that have more to do with maintaining reliable performance rather than improving it...

many pads are made from hard materials (ie not cloth) and thus are far easier to keep clean, hold up better to wear and tear, can have different surface friction for desired and consistent effect, can actually offer better performance for some of the newer mice that can be finicky on certain surfaces (affecting pixel skipping, undesired acceleration, liftoff distance - all measurable effects)...etc, etc...

Pfft I have a Razer Mantis Speed pad, I bought it mostly cause of the size. I can use my G5 on the desk and it reacts the same as being on the so called pimp mouse pad.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I've had a fUnc pad for years and years, A. It really did make a difference, B. I love it.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Being rather unique and using an HDTV for PC'ing on, the surfaces that lend themselves to my use are rather poor for mouse movement. Not only are they rather confusing to an optical/laser mouse, they are also movement prohibitive and cause resistance against my hand, Despite the resistance being rather insignificant to the muscles in your arm, that resistance is noticable and can leave you feeling a bit awkward and distracted.

I use a Ratzpad GS. Cost me around about $15-20 (Bought from US and had to be shipped to where I live, UK) and its great. Not huge but I'd say it compares to the standard cloth mats of old and despite its rather rough textured feel, optical/laser tracking on it is good and the mouse glides around smoothly with no resistance.

Personally having only used one "Gaming" or "Premium" mousepad, I can wholeheartedly recommend a Ratpadz GS over standard cloth or no mousepad.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I have a Razer eXactMat and love it. Use the speed side with my G7 for gaming. Best mouse pad I've used, the speed side is like sliding on ice.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal,
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp

Pfft I have a Razer Mantis Speed pad, I bought it mostly cause of the size. I can use my G5 on the desk and it reacts the same as being on the so called pimp mouse pad.

so from what I can tell you have experience with one mouse, one pad, and one desk surface - you sure are the authority on the topic here

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp

so from what I can tell you have experience with one mouse, one pad, and one desk surface - you sure are the authority on the topic here

Let me guess you have a degree in mouse pad-nomics, come on you think they mean more to gaming then I do big deal. For the record no I dont have experience with just one pad one mouse, and a desk is a desk, wood is wood.