mouse pads aka gaming surfaces

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Just got myself a Razer Goliathus Control Fragged Edition (£15/$22.50). Could have ordered one online but it'd be just a couple of pounds difference and have involved delivery time/staying in.

Much nicer than my old Ratpadz GS upon which it sits. Loving it so far. Might buy myself some more just to make sure I can replace them when they're worn out.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
IMAG0255.jpg

enjoying it so far, getting used to the feel, it slowed the mouse down some, but I think it helps. but I only had a few minutes to play so far

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
I use a a black cloth mouse pad. $3 at Walmart. I rest my wrist on the pad (carpel tunnel here I come!), which makes hard surfaced pads quite unattractive to me. I've never gotten the impression that the expensive cloth pads are much better than the generic ones. My friend spent $30 on some huge one that covers his whole desk. Seems pretty nice, but the surface is pretty comparable to mine.

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'm ghetto, I've always used the piece of cardboard out of my new t-shirt packaging. The fibers in the cardboard seem to make the laser accurate enough for me. I just throw it out and use a new one whenever it gets dirty.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
This.

It's a shame they don't make them anymore.

This is by far the best mouse pad ever made and you only need to buy it once, it lasts forever.

They do make them (steelSeries SX) still, just not available in the US. I even contacted support about it.
WebOrder STNA Support, Dec-07 03:34 (CST):
Hi Niki -

We are sorry to tell you that we no longer carry the SX in the US, we apologize for the inconvenience and hope you can find another pad that will work for you.

Thanks,
Web Order Support
=/

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
I like a decently large surface. Would be nice if it came in a variety of colors and is cheap to replace too.
Solution? Linoleum!
battle_stations_2_resize.jpg

im loving the desk. where did you get it? I had a corner desk for a while but axed it and gave it to my girlfriend. I like how I can put my monitor in front of me and a tv towards the side and not have to break my neck to look at it...i could also throw my 360 on it.

I really miss my dual monitor setup too =[

LintMan

Apr 19, 2001

Don't do it! I bought the larger sized version of this and the sides curled up making this pad ugly and annoying as hell. Nothing i tried would get rid of the curl, so I eventually tossed it. The Amazon reviews for both sizes of this pad are filled with similar complaints and 3M continues to do nothing about it.

This is all really too bad, because I think the "3M mousing surface" is actually really good and holds up very well over the years. Prior to the "curl-pad", I had another 3M pad and the surface held up great, but the whole pad had gotten rather grungy over several years, so I unfortunately bought the new one.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I bought one of the Razer mousepads on a whim to try out, it's actually been pretty nice. It doesn't slide around easily, doesn't gather much dust, is easy to clean, and after a year and a half of use the surface still feels good as new as far as I can tell. I've had 'hard' pads wear down before, but this one's going strong. A little pricey but frankly for something I use so much I don't mind.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I bought one of the Razer mousepads on a whim to try out, it's actually been pretty nice. It doesn't slide around easily, doesn't gather much dust, is easy to clean, and after a year and a half of use the surface still feels good as new as far as I can tell. I've had 'hard' pads wear down before, but this one's going strong. A little pricey but frankly for something I use so much I don't mind.

Are you talking about the Scarab: http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Scarab-E...3365475&sr=8-1

Or the Vespula: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
They do make them (steelSeries SX) still, just not available in the US. I even contacted support about it.

=/

Their online store ships worldwide not just America and it's not available, so where would you buy one?

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I like a decently large surface. Would be nice if it came in a variety of colors and is cheap to replace too.
Solution? Linoleum!
battle_stations_2_resize.jpg

I had a very similar desk in college and I didn't use a mousepad. I burned through the blueish surface of the desk down to the particle board in the desk.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Took me a minute to look it up but I appear to have a Razer Destructor. Which at a glance appears fairly similar to the Scarab at least.

Seems that the Destructor is discontinued. It appears to be a single-sided version of the newer Vespula, actually. I have a feeling the Scarab has a slightly different surface, but I haven't tried either - just going on pictures.

It's really odd that these mousing surfaces turn over so quickly - makes it even more amazing that my old Func 1030 is still available...

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
It's really odd that these mousing surfaces turn over so quickly...

It wouldn't surprise me if they make a few large batches when materials are cheap and then just shut it down until they move onto the next batch of cheap, but slightly different materials.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I use a a black cloth mouse pad. $3 at Walmart. I rest my wrist on the pad (carpel tunnel here I come!), which makes hard surfaced pads quite unattractive to me. I've never gotten the impression that the expensive cloth pads are much better than the generic ones. My friend spent $30 on some huge one that covers his whole desk. Seems pretty nice, but the surface is pretty comparable to mine.
I use the same thing; have for years. Works great and the mouse tracks fine, but I guess I don't have a real expensive one to compare it against.