Mouse MS Paint Test

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Could someone enlighten me about the subject? How is it done, what exactly is one supposed to see, and what is the ideal result?
I am getting new mouse soon and would like to do some comparison with my old G5.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
It is the easiest way to tell if your mouse jitters or is modifying the input (prediction). Lets take a look at me testing my mouse at 8200DPI since the higher DPI can exemplify the nasty stuff.

linesandcirclesedit.png

The highlighted circle showing the possible jitter is probably the easiest to explain. If you look close notice how the general line is going down/right, but there are parts where it goes up, and then down, and then up again. This could possibly be classified as jitter, but within the context of way over the top DPI it is actually pretty damn good. Here is an example of extreme jitter.

Prediction can be described as the opposite of jitter, it is the mouse purposely trying to straighten the line out even if the actual input does indeed have slight variations in it. Also known as angle snapping and drift control, it helps draw straight lines at the expense of accuracy. You can tell there is no prediction from the highlighted area. The line very gradually slopes downward until it evens out, and very smoothly curves upward again. If there was prediction, it would go slowly down (possibly in a staircase pattern) and abruptly start drawing a flat line, then abruptly start sloping up again.

While jitter is always bad, some professional players actually prefer prediction although with the current "flawless sensor" push, I would expect the majority of gaming mice to start disabling this.

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Isn't jitter direct result of shaky hand or something?
I finally understand what angle snapping does, though.

No idea about the sensor in my mouse, looks "random" enough, or maybe my hand is so bad not even angle snapping can help it :p
T6isNdH.jpg

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Isn't jitter direct result of shaky hand or something?
I finally understand what angle snapping does, though.

No jitter is due to poor tracking of the sensor causing it. You don't shake like that as you move.

Your mouse shows clear signs of jitter and angle snapping.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The diagonal lines clearly have an amount of noise to them where you see the line as slightly shaky. If you zoom in on those areas you'll see the movement goes 2-3 pixels in one direction and then it returns almost immediately and then does it again shortly after. But there are moments where its perfectly straight down to the individual pixel which is how it should look.

The angle snapping shows up on the swirls and the top peaks of the top left mountains. You'll find when you are nearly going vertical or horizontal that actually what appears in the image is perfectly flat, down to the pixel. You can't draw a horizontal line like that, its not possible with the human hand. So what is happening is the mouse is artificially flattening the movement when you are close enough to horizontal or vertical movement.

You can see the effect of these things a bit better if you draw long, faster diagonal lines and smaller swirls and horizontal and vertical lines.

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Ah, allright. I thought long perfectly flat line would ring an alarm, but not short segments.

I tried it with my wife's MX518, and that's whole different beast:
wfIi2SX.jpg

lol
That's what I'd call shitty unwanted sensor features :D
When I switched to the highest DPI (no idea how much that is), it looked almost identical, with a little "noise".

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
That is a perfect example of of angle snapping (sometimes called prediction). You can see the unnaturally long pixel perfect straight areas and the squaring off of the round swirls.

Jitter is when you move your mouse smoothly and get something like this:
OqVDQ.png

It is when the mouse jumps back and forth between several pixels rather than moving smoothly from point A to point B.

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
So I bought Kone XTD, and tried to mess around with Paint right away.
kqnMZNx.jpg

This is at 8200DPI, which makes rock 'n roll seem a bit too slow.
Apparently it does have some prediction, but no worse than my original mouse, so I am ok with it (not like I know what flawless sensor picture would look like anyway).

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Its got a bit of jitter and some angle snapping by the looks of things. What mouse mat are you using these on?

jigglywiggly

Aug 8, 2009
If you have a logitech mouse, angle snapping can be enabled/disabled in the control panel.

The implementation of their angle snapping is very good though, actually try it and see if you like it.

I liked it a lot.