Mousavi's past raises questions

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
LINK

Politics makes interesting bedfellows. Are we just overlooking Mousavi's past in order to bring about change?

-- Opposition leader and former Iranian Premier Mir Hossein Mousavi played a role in terrorist attacks on U.S. targets in Lebanon, intelligence officials say.

Mousavi emerged from years of political exile as the top challenger to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the June 12 election. Mousavi was expected to go to a runoff against Ahmadinejad, though Tehran claims the incumbent won by a landslide.

Mousavi has become the face of the so-called Green Revolution of opposition leaders pushing for reforms in Iran. But during his tenure as prime minister in the 1980s, his reputation was not exactly benign, notes CQ Politics, an online news magazine.

Retired Navy Adm. James Lyons, who worked as an adviser to the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency, says Mousavi personally selected the Iranian envoy to Damascus to serve as the director of Lebanese terrorist activity.

"The Iranian ambassador received instructions from the foreign minister to have various groups target U.S. personnel in Lebanon, but in particular to carry out a spectacular action against the Marines," said Lyons.

Lyons claims Mousavi was not the personal director of Lebanese operations. But Bob Baer, a former CIA officer working in Lebanon during the 1980s, says Mousavi played a much larger role in regional terrorism directed at U.S. targets.

"When Mousavi was prime minister, he oversaw an office that ran operatives abroad, from Lebanon to Kuwait to Iraq," Baer writes in the weekend edition of Time magazine.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: GeezerMan
-snip-
Are we just overlooking Mousavi's past in order to bring about change?

I think many are.

However, this info has been out there for those who choose to be informed rather than naively hopeful/optimistic.

Henry Kissenger was on TV last week talking about how, contrary to what many wish to believe, Mousavi is no real change from Ahmadinejad as far as the USA is conerned.

Fern

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The real significance of the Iranian election is that the strange bedfellows of Muslim fundamentalists and religiously moderate Nationalists who joined together to overthrow the corrupt US supported regime of the Shah is breaking apart.
The unusual accomadition where the fundamentalists got to control religious matters and a democratically elected government got to control the government in most other matters was dependent on the Nationalists believing they had some say in the government.

It doesn't matter Moussavi's actual policies, it was his insistence that the elected government reflect more of the populatons policies than the religious clerics policies that was the issue.

It's an emperor has no clothes situation.
Now the Iranian moderate Nationalists have had their belief in democracy stripped away, and the clerics resorting to outright tyranny has stripped away their moral authority.

When your enemies are in turmoil, things are good.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
unless u r a cynic like me and figure the mullah's pick all candidates and orchestrate it all to make the troublemakers show themselves so they can be picked off... notice how mousi is just backing away now (back to his red guard job?) that they have all the footage of the protesters that they will need for now... but i'm just eeevil...

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: cubeless
unless u r a cynic like me and figure the mullah's pick all candidates and orchestrate it all to make the troublemakers show themselves so they can be picked off... notice how mousi is just backing away now (back to his red guard job?) that they have all the footage of the protesters that they will need for now... but i'm just eeevil...

Good chance you are right. There was a commentary on the radio the other night about how you have to be approved to be a candidate for high office in Iran by the mullah, as in no one gets to be that high unless they do what the mullah wants. I'm beginning to think the USA has a mullah too.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I think the protests have gone beyond just one man.

Mousavi is just a figure for them to rally around, what the people really want is an end to the current government. Hence all the 'death to dictatorship' stories we have been seeing.

If Mousavi ever did gain power he would most likely end up being a transitional figure to a more open and real democracy that isn't controlled by the clergy.

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
If we depose their leaders and install despots it's freedom fighting if they try to fight back it's terrorism because

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
As someone who hasn't forgotten Hezbollahs's actions in Beirut, and values what Bob Baer says, I must say I'm surprised by this...

Doesn't mean the current regime in Tehran is any better though.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: cubeless

Evil, no, just skeptical like a lot of people. Since all candidates were preapproved by the mullahs, and they have the leisure to make sure the vote count is done properly and looks well ? why go through the obvious vote-fraud thing that brings back memory of Saddam Hussein (Mr. 100% of the vote) or any Communist Democratic People?s Republic from the 1970s? Why do all that?

The law of unintended consequences might be in play here. It could have been a ploy to identify their enemies, "deal with them," and then consolidate the power. But things can always spin out of control ? especially in a place in which violence is the politics. The situation screams for speculation though.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Mousavi doesn't go around blasting the U.S and Israel every 5 seconds , while Ahmadinejad does.

He has no reason to be hugging the U.S either especially since the U.S was with Iraq during the Iran-Iraq War.
I don't think he is holding a grudge however. He just doesn't give a crap about the U.S good/bad and wanted to make life for Iranians better.
Ahmadinejad wants to be the center of attention taking on the big bad mean Western nations because he is the son of a camel farmer.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The Beirut bombing was completely justified, hope this helps.

It helps me realize you're a complete tool. Do me a favor and recite that in the presence of some leathernecks. :|

0marTheZealot

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: kage69

It helps me realize you're a complete tool. Do me a favor and recite that in the presence of some leathernecks. :|

The army had a term for Marines in WW2. They were called bullet sponges.

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004

"I'll beat you up for pointing out american imperialism and support for israel's despotic regime made their military presence a valid target" - forums poster kage69

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ZeGermans

"I'll beat you up for pointing out american imperialism and support for israel's despotic regime made their military presence a valid target" - forums poster kage69

You sir are an ignoramus. Multinational Force in Lebanon.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
While I think U.S troops were valid targets during the Iran-Iraq War, because of the favoritism and arming of Iraq, I think it is cowardly and rather disgusting to attack troops that are not part of the conflict directly.

You don't kill marines while they sleep... you kill them when they are pointing a gun at you.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Aimster
While I think U.S troops were valid targets during the Iran-Iraq War, because of the favoritism and arming of Iraq, I think it is cowardly and rather disgusting to attack troops that are not part of the conflict directly.

You don't kill marines while they sleep... you kill them when they are pointing a gun at you.

No chance of losing the conflict if they are sleeping. It's an advantage to take your opponent out before their gun is pointed at you.

Jun 26, 2007
Mousavi doesn't go around blasting the U.S and Israel every 5 seconds , while Ahmadinejad does.

He has no reason to be hugging the U.S either especially since the U.S was with Iraq during the Iran-Iraq War.
I don't think he is holding a grudge however. He just doesn't give a crap about the U.S good/bad and wanted to make life for Iranians better.
Ahmadinejad wants to be the center of attention taking on the big bad mean Western nations because he is the son of a camel farmer.

He's done worse to the Iranians as a Prime Minister, deny that all you want but it's still truth and truth remains truth even when a retarded piece of shit like you try to distort it.

I really don't think anything would change for the better with him as a president, not that it would matter at all who is president since the watchers council is the only true government in Iran.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

No chance of losing the conflict if they are sleeping. It's an advantage to take your opponent out before their gun is pointed at you.

One thing is for certain, you have never been in any armed forces.

And no, you don't walk through any area while they are sleeping, stop watching TV, it doesn't work that way you pathetic piece of shit.

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

And no, you don't walk through any area while they are sleeping, stop watching TV, it doesn't work that way you pathetic piece of shit.

Is he still on your christmas list?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Please. I'm not defending our torrid past with Iran, and I haven't threatened you with physical harm. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see you reap the winds of ignorance that you seem to be venting. Maybe a good smack would help you with that problem of defending acts of terrorism which result in dead Americans. While I take exception to a lot of things that Israel has done in the past, going after the PLO isn't one of them. That was justified.

The Barracks Bombing was a terrorist attack for political reasons, not some militia defending their actual homeland from a foreign presence. Lebanon is not part of Iran; Hezbollah and the Rev Guard getting incensed at a multinational force trying to stop ethnic cleansing and massacres is hardly a valid reason. That Marines were killed instead of civilians doesn't make the event any less evil.

But whatever, something tells me you don't really care about the particulars...

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Red Irish

Is he still on your christmas list?

Who, what and why?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

He's done worse to the Iranians as a Prime Minister, deny that all you want but it's still truth and truth remains truth even when a retarded piece of shit like you try to distort it.

I really don't think anything would change for the better with him as a president, not that it would matter at all who is president since the watchers council is the only true government in Iran.

Retarded piece of shit?

Look how you talk to people. You sound worse than Ahmadinejad.
Learn how to communicate with people. You're a big dork angry at the world.

If you disagree with something I said then share facts, all you did was act like a mental nutcase.

Jun 26, 2007

Retarded piece of shit?

Look how you talk to people. You sound worse than Ahmadinejad.
Learn how to communicate with people. You're a big dork angry at the world.

If you disagree with something I said then share facts, all you did was act like a mental nutcase.

I sound worse than amafuckedarabbit? Not bloody likely, your family is safe? YOu are safe?

I really care about people, i really do, unlike 99.9% of this forum i actually DO something about it too.

So if you haven't been there on the barricades or done anything what so ever at all then just shut the fuck up because you are not helping anyone.

I'd say that what you said is what most westerners view of Iranians are and unfortunantly it is pretty much spot on, MOST of Iran are not enlightened students and knowing Iran and the landscapt and supporters it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Adjemafuck could have won the election, in all probability he actually did.

I don't think it matters one fucking bit, i support the protesters and would, if i even could, go over there to support them taking over that regime.

We are probably on the same side, but i don't like you.