Mounting LCD on a plaster wall.

thespeakerbox

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2004
I can imagine drywall + stud finder would be a walk in the park compared to plaster.

Are there any tutorials youve see online or any tips to follow. I didnt find much with google.

It's gonna be a 37".

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Hmmm... I dont know how heavy your TV is, but I doubt any type of "plaster" is going to be very safe to mount it on.. Any chance you can hang it from the ceiling? Provided the ceiling is not plaster also?

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Mine was pretty easy but you have to find the studs. I got lucky there was already a hole in 1 stud from an old picture and just measured over from there. The plaster made a mess and it's thicker than drywall. Took about 20 minutes to complete (less if I didnt have to search for my drill)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You might have to pop a baseboard off the bottom of the wall and see if you can find one that way. You might be able to see it, or even dig around a bit where it's easy to cover up. Once you find one you'll have to throw a level on it and hope they are straight up.

I've got plaster too, but I was fortunate enough to have the previous owners find most studs for me. After many failed attempts.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
plaster sucks. I had no luck with it, i made a mess and had to go to the hardware store to pick up that wall fixer crap and am stuck with dealing with LCD on desk for now.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiamat
plaster sucks. I had no luck with it, i made a mess and had to go to the hardware store to pick up that wall fixer crap and am stuck with dealing with LCD on desk for now.

This is the only time that plaster sucks. Otherwise it's much more sound proof and infinitely more durable than drywall.

Small bumps and scrapes that would gouge drywall simply bounce off of plaster. It was great for moving in. Plus for little things like light pictures and posters you can hammer right into it and the nail/screw works fine without needing an anchor or a stud. Can't do that with drywall.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
There should be vertical studs either every 16" or 24". Find them and mount your hanging bracket securely using long screws into them. I helped hang a 110 lb Plasma on a wall recently, but it was concrete block behind sheetrock so we used tapconn screws. Worked very well.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Atheus
There must be something behind the plaster somewhere...

lath. But that is only going to hold plaster. Find a stud.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
How thick is the plaster? A stud finder should find studs behind plaster, the trick is drilling through the plaster itself. The studs should be 16" apart. You will need a masonry bit.

PcktRcktsAA

Dec 5, 2003
plaster walls dont cause any apparent obstacles for mounting tvs because you are mounting the bracket to the studs, not to the makeup of the wall itself. however, plaster is prone to cracking, so you have to be extra careful when you are drilling your pilot holes into the studs when mounting the bracket to the wall and dont over-tighten the bolts holding the bracket.

other than that, what everyone else said is true - as long as you can find the studs, you will be good. however, given the age of the house, there is no guarantee the studs will be 16" or 24" apart. it may be hit or miss, so tread with caution.

also, while it is only a 37", i would strongly recommend you hit two studs with the bracket and not one, even if it is centered. you dont want to take any unnecessary changes.

any questions, feel free to PM me.