Mountain bikers... Is the Cannondale F1000sl a decent bike?

masterc

Feb 6, 2000
I'm looking to get a decent mtbike. It looks like I have to spend ~$1000 Can. (~$650 USD) to get one with decent reliable components.
I've been leaning towards some new Trek bikes which fall in my price range.
But the other day I saw an used Cannondale F1000sl, a 2001 model. It's in perfect shape. I doubt it's been used much, not a scratch on it. The guy want $950 Can. for it.
Think it's worth it???
Are the C'dale headshocks adjustable for bigger riders? I know you can lock them, but can you make them stiffer too??

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
A little off topic, but didn't Cannondale file for bankruptcy? Might be bad news if you need warranty repair:(

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: masterc
I'm looking to get a decent mtbike. It looks like I have to spend ~$1000 Can. (~$650 USD) to get one with decent reliable components.
I've been leaning towards some new Trek bikes which fall in my price range.
But the other day I saw an used Cannondale F1000sl, a 2001 model. It's in perfect shape. I doubt it's been used much, not a scratch on it. The guy want $950 Can. for it.
Think it's worth it???
Are the C'dale headshocks adjustable for bigger riders? I know you can lock them, but can you make them stiffer too??
What parts does it have?
You might want to check your local bike store that carry Cdale for price. It is a steal for $950.00 in mint condition, therefor the bike could be hot.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundZero
get a trek
made here localy and damn great mountain bikes!

Huh? I am pretty sure cannondales are made in the us. As for trek, I thought that up till recently, there were made overseas (I think their low end bikes still are).

As for the f1000 sl, $650 USD sounds like a great price for a great bike. I was looking at getting a F400 here in the states for $800, and I believe the '03 F1000s go for around $1600 (USD). As long as it's the right size, I don't think you will find a better deal

Emrys

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2002
For about $650US I'd have a hard time passing it up, especially if I was looking for a new bike and it was in almost new condition.

Emrys

Feb 10, 2000
Sounds like a good value, but I would go over that frame with a fine-tooth comb to look for cracks, dents, bulges in the paint, or any other potential weirdness. I would be wary of buying a used aluminum mountain bike, as a general matter, because even minor damage can lead to catastrophic frame failure. If it is really as clean as you describe, it could well be worthwhile, however.